University of Alabama Landmarks as Taylor Swift Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

If any two things are ubiquitous, its the University of Alabama and Taylor Swift. Miss Swift seems to have a song for every situation, and UA seems to have a sport for every mood. Here’s six of my favorite spots on campus and what Taylor Swift song they embody.

Sorority Row: “You Need to Calm Down” from Lover

Lover is all about taking down the haters and brushing off the stuff coming your way. It’s “Shake it Off’s” older, cooler sister. If you’ve been through sorority recruitment, you may have heard to avoid Greek Rank, a gossip website where anonymous users can rank the various sorority houses, creating an open discussion for flaming. Despite what Greek Rank says, every house is “good,” and any sorority girl will tell you the #PanLove is real. To these Greek Rank bullies, take advice from Taylor, because “You Need To Calm Down.”

Lyrics in mind: “And we see you over there on the Internet, comparing all the girls who are killing it.”

The Boom Boom Room: “Gorgeous” from reputation

Three drinks + dim lighting + sweat = a hookup waiting to happen. Swift explains the feeling of falling in love with someone good looking when under the influence in her song, “Gorgeous.” Of course, you’ll look gorgeous in the “club doing I don’t know what.”

Lyrics in mind: “You should take it as a compliment/that I got drunk” and “You’re so gorgeous”

Bryant Denny: Enchanted from Speak Now

Despite working at Bryant Denny, the “wonderstruck” feeling of stepping into that 100,000-seat stadium never goes away. The amount of joy and school pride that Alabama students feel in the 4th quarter when Dixieland Delight plays and when the Tide officially wins is enchanting.

Lyrics in mind: “This night is sparkling, don’t you let it go/I’m wonder struck, blushing all the way home//I was enchanted to meet you”

The Quad: “seven” from folklore

The Quad is one of UA’s best open-air spots. It’s perfect for picnicking, studying, hanging with friends, tailgating and everything in between. My favorite part of the Quad is watching Tuscaloosa families use it as a park for their kids and dogs, which is why it’s represented by Swift’s song, “seven.” I’ve also seen drunk students screaming at Denny Chimes like seven-year-olds.

Lyrics in mind: “Please picture me in the weeds/before I learned civility/I used to scream ferociously/any time I wanted”

Gorgas: “The Way I Loved You” from Fearless

This Fearless bop is about being in a great new relationship but missing the messy parts of your previous relationship. No matter how many different places I study (my room, my friend’s apartment, Starbucks, the sorority house), something about late nights at Gorgas hit diff. Sure, I have main character energy at Starbucks, but I can find actual peace and quiet at Gorgas.

Lyrics in mind: “I miss screaming and fighting (at Eduroam)/and it’s 2 a.m. and I’m cursing your name (@ my macro-economics professor)”

The Ferg Starbucks- “How You Get the Girl” from 1989

I don’t think anyone can disagree that the Ferg Starbucks line is LONG, like backed up to the Supe Store loooonnnng. However, the wait is normally worth it for all those yummy drinks. On this 1989 track, Swift recounts all the different ways her ex tried to win her back and how it eventually worked. For me, if my former flame showed up with a venti iced coffee with sweet cream cold foam, I’d take him back.

Lyrics in mind: “I would wait forever (and ever)” “And that’s how it works/that’s how you get the girl.”

Thank you Taylor and Alabama for giving students the things they need: magic, madness, heaven, sin, and all other incredible things.

MJ Miller

Alabama '24

MJ Miller is from Los Angeles, California and is thoroughly enjoying her studies at the University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa. MJ loves spending time with her friends and making Taylor Swift playlists.