To Read or Not to Read: Which BookTok Books Are Actual Page Turners?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

In a book slump? Need a genre change? Just looking for a fluff read? BookTok has plenty of recommendations to cover every literary need. With the rising popularity of BookTok and its BookTokers, readers’ must-read lists have been growing exponentially as there are no shortages of reviews and recommendations when your next read is only a swipe away. But, are all of the BookTok “approved” books worth the read? Or are some better left on the shelf? 

“The Song of Achilles” by Madeline Miller

This standalone is a retelling of the ancient Greek myth about the warrior Achilles that will have you turning tearstained pages until the end. Miller uses simple language, yet manages to bring together an emotionally complex story. “The Song of Achilles” is a prime novel of escapism that encapsulates its characters and plot so thoroughly that the reader feels immersed, experiencing the story for themselves. The novel centers around Achilles’s fate to be “the best of all Greeks” as a warrior in the Trojan War. If you’ve ever heard the saying “Achilles’ heel,” you might have an inkling about how this one ends. However, Miller adds a newfound dimension to Achilles’s life as a warrior from the perspective of Patroclus, Achilles’s lover. In this novel, Achilles is not only a warrior, but a son and a friend, destined for greatness but craving stability. Miller’s retelling humanizes the myth of Achilles and by the end will leave you with an understanding of why the Greek origin of Achilles’s name means “pain.”

Rating: 5/5

I urge you to pick up a copy of The Song of Achilles if you need to get out of your reading slump. While being an easy read, it offers such a raw perspective on an old age myth that will leave you eager to read others. Greek retellings have been on the rise and after The Song of Achilles, be sure to check out “A Thousand Ships” by Natalie Haynes or Miller’s other novel, “Circe.”

“It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover

This novel tackles the difficult subject of domestic violence. But, it manages to depict domestic violence with such perspective and reality that readers are able to gain a newfound respect and understanding about the challenges women face in these relationships. The main characters are based on well-worn tropes, but still serve as invested protagonists. The narrator, Lily Bloom (who owns a flower shop, *only slightly cringey*), falls for neurosurgeon Ryle (*cue McDreamy swoon*). But, this relationship isn’t all it seems and Hoover masterfully shows the varying moving pieces that can turn the seemingly simple decision of leaving a relationship into a complex chess game where there is too much at stake to forfeit. 

Rating: 4/5

While this novel can be cheesy at times, it offers valuable insight into a difficult topic and is definitely worth the read. Once you finish, there are 20+ Colleen Hoover novels waiting for you to pick them up next.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue” by V.E. Schwab

This novel is perfect for lovers of morally grey love interests (I’m looking at you Shadow and Bone/A Court of Thorns and Roses/The Cruel Prince fans). This novel centers around protagonist Addie LaRue who makes a bargain with the devil to live forever. Before you skip this read, I agree that this plotline has been overdone in young adult fantasy. However, Schwab’s novel puts a unique spin on the Faustian bargain: Addie can live forever, but no one will remember her. This novel follows her travels through time and the struggle of permanence. Truly a thought provoking read that will lead you to question which is more important: the ability to live forever or the ability to share your life with others? 

Rating: 4/5

While this plotline may seem like many other young adult fantasy books just in another font, Schwab’s writing style is engaging and describes the various times and places Addie lives through until she meets someone that just might remember her. Another book of escapism, “The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue” will take you through the French countryside, the streets of London, and to the lights of New York City. Once you’re done with this standalone, be sure to check out Schwab’s other, more magic heavy trilogy “A Darker Shade of Magic.”

Still not convinced one of these is your next read? Check out more recommendations from the BookTokers themselves:

@aymansbooks

@courtofkayla

@mandysreads

Madison Glatz

Alabama '23

Madison is a junior at the University of Alabama studying Psychology, Spanish, and International Studies. Originally from the suburbs of Chicago, Madison hopes to pursue a career in the field of legal psychology. When not studying or writing, she is most likely trying to make a dent in her To Be Read pile, running, or eating Trader Joe's pasta.