The Tide Rolls Over The ‘Rebs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Hugh Freeze and the Rebels from the University of Mississippi arrived in Tuscaloosa on Thursday in hopes of not getting completely freakin’ killed by Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide.

At the end of first quarter, Alabama was up 6-0 from two 38-yard field goals by kicker Jeremy Shelley. However, two minutes into the second quarter, Saban and the Tide were trailing for the first time this season. Junior running back Jeff Scott finished the Rebel’s 75-yard drive with a 1 yard run into the end zone.

Nick Saban’s worst nightmare had come true. Ole Miss was winning the game.

Alabama was trailing, but not for long when Christion Jones had a 99 yard kickoff return in for a touchdown. After that, Alabama followed with two interceptions helping the Tide recover.

AJ McCarron took Belue’s interception to the endzone with a 16-yard touchdown pass to true freshman Amari Cooper. McCarron and Cooper connected at the end of a 68 yard drive with a 12 yard touchdown pass.

“That was the turning point in the game,” Saban said. “We really only put one true drive together. Those turnovers were really the difference in the game.”

Although Alabama’s defense dominated, and the offense’s stats were impressive, Ole Miss was thrilled with their performance. Ole Miss quarterback Randall Mackey says, “We kind of hurt ourselves really. We wanted to hit them in the mouth and we did. When you play Bama, they’re the best of the best.”

I don’t think Alabama will ever trail again—ever… Do you?

#1 Alabama Crimson Tide has a bye week this weekend, corresponding with Fall Break. The Tide will go on to face Mizzou, in Columbia, October 13th time and tv broadcast TBD.

Sources:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322730333

Photo Credit: The AP via Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/sports/football/1597304-no-1-alabama-eases-ole-miss-33-14.html

Victoria, the Sports Columnist for Her Campus Alabama, is a sophomore at the University of Alabama originally from Philadelphia, PA.  With a major in Communications and minor in Public Relations, Victoria plans to pursue her dream to work in sports whether it be for ESPN, a NFL franchise, or behind a desk sports-blogging. Victoria plans to work this summer, study abroad in Rome next spring, and get a summer internship in NYC next year. If she is not watching SportsCenter, E! News, or Duke Lacrosse, you can most likely find her blogging on her personal blog. http://socalledsecret.wordpress.com/
Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!