Academics

The Truth About College: Reaching the End of the Semester

There it is- the light at the end of the tunnel, so close you can almost touch it if you reach out far enough. It’s one of the happiest and saddest times of the school year– the end of spring semester. Seniors are graduating, students are studying for finals week, and freshmen are preparing to move out of their dorms. Wherever you fall within this stressful, yet tender time, just know you’re going to be alright.

These last few weeks of the semester are bittersweet. The overwhelming anxiety begins to shrink as you complete the last assignments for the year. Friends say goodbye until the fall, and if you’re a graduating senior, it’s goodbye until we meet again. With the completion of the semester, it’s just another step closer in your journey to achieving your dreams.

With the end of spring comes summer and plenty to look forward to. Whether it’s a vacation with your family or friends, an internship you’ve been prepping for all semester, or just taking the break to relax, use your summer wisely to regenerate for the next semester or step in your life.

As finals week approaches, we all fall victim to cramming everything into the last few days. “Just get through it,” you’re probably telling yourself and that’s the truth. You are going to get through it and make it to the other side, even if it doesn’t necessarily feel like it. You choose what you can handle, and you can successfully handle this.

Here’s some advice to get you through the end of the semester:

Prioritize Priorities

It must feel like you have a million things on your plate, but with the right preparation, you’ll be able to avoid procrastination. It’s a good idea to spread out your assignments and responsibilities to avoid extra stress, you won’t feel as overwhelmed as you would if you left everything to the last second. 

Remember to Hydrate and Fuel Your Body

In the midst of all the craziness going on, you need to actively remind yourself to drink water and eat at least three meals throughout the day. You should always start your day with a large glass of water and a breakfast of your choosing- my personal favorite is an everything bagel with cream cheese.

Take Time to Recharge

During dead week and finals week, it’s normal to feel burnt out, this is why it’s important to take time to relax and rejuvenate both mentally and physically. After a long day, it’s always refreshing to take a hot shower and read a book before bed.

However you’re feeling, just know you have family and friends rooting for you. We’re all rooting for you. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. If you’re just looking for a laugh, call up your best friend. Everyone is going through the motions, turn this time into a time of inspiration and to look forward to what is to come.

Grace is a News Media major at the University of Alabama from Tampa, Fl with plans of moving to the "Big Apple" after graduation. She is a member of the Honors College and plans on acquiring her graduate degree through the College of Communications' Accelerated Master's Program. She has always had a deep passion for writing and cannot wait to see what the future has in store.