Style Spotlight: Sea of Shoes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It is not everyday that I find a fashion blog with photos and style that actually look like fashion editorials from a magazine. Somehow Jane Aldridge makes every day look like a photo shoot with her blog, Sea of Shoes.
It is so much more than daily postings of what she wears. It’s a lifestyle, and it all started back in 2007 as a hobby when Jane was just 15 years old. Since then, she has been sharing her bold taste and style, and of course, her myriad of shoes with her readers. Here are a few trends taken straight from Jane’s closet that you can add to your spring wardrobe:

1. Making Old New Again.

One of the key aspects of Jane’s style is her ability to mix vintage pieces with high-end, designer duds. When she’s not rocking a vintage tee with denim cutoffs, Jane goes retro with her accessories. Pairing throwback looks with contemporary pieces is the best way to recreate something old and make it your own. Do you want to look stylish on a budget? Try shopping at thrift stores, yard sales, vintage stores, or consignment shops. The best thing about vintage is that your look will never go out of style, and you can start as small as accessories and work your way into adding vintage pieces to your daily wardrobe.

2. Fashion and Footwear.

Everyone knows a girl can never have too many shoes. While most of us do not have Jane’s massive collection, it is her insatiable appetite for all things heeled that keep us inspired. She sports the latest boots, platforms, and shoes with really cute, interesting details. Not sure where to start for spring? Corked-bottom espadrilles and wedges are a perfect way to add a little fun to your outfit. Just like a pair of mega platforms or braided sandals in subtle pastels or bright colors can.

3. Back to the Basics.

Ever find yourself searching the closet only to find you have nothing to wear? When trends come and go, it is all about those timeless, basic pieces. Jane makes “easy” stylish with white jeans, a blazer, classic tee, statement bag, and laidback accessories. You can make the transition into spring and summer with these foolproof, staple items. If you are worried about it being a snooze fest, then mix and match trendy clothing or accessories with these basics. Like Jane, you will look effortlessly chic without sacrificing style.

4. Subtlety in Shades of Sorbet.

Jane is pretty in pales, pinks, and well, everything. Wearing bold, bright colors are not the only ways to get noticed this season. Pastels are feminine, girly, and perfect for spring. Jane’s recent outfits have included at least one of the soft, airy colors. Dare to be prim and flirty in baby blues, lavenders, powdery pinks, and anything that screams Easter. For a more modern look, mix several pastel shades together, and you will end up with a color confection that looks sweet enough to be dessert.

5. From the Locker Room.

Fashion should be practical and functional. Jane recently posted her favorite athletic pieces opting for sportswear chic. Yes, you can look stylish in gym clothes. Get in the game by pairing track pants with heels or wearing sporty striped tees with a track skirt. You can even wear running shorts with a blazer and simple tank. The key is to focus on one sporty piece and mix it with ladylike accessories or tops.

6. Add a Little Shine.

If I could muster up luster, then it would be Jane’s unique take on all things shiny. She has a great eye for patent leather and sequins. You can shine throughout the summer with metallic accessories. Kick your glam up a notch with shiny, metallic finishes on skirts, dresses, shoes, shorts, and light jackets. As seen on Jane, this trend works best when wearing neutral shades.

From a shoe obsession to a daily picture diary of her favorite outfits, Jane features her own mash-ups of drama, androgyny, and a bit of playfulness with an edge. Her love for marine life and shoes serve as the inspiration for the blog, but following a few of these style tips will have you swimming in more than just a sea of shoes, but swimming in style as well.

Image Credit: Sea of Shoes

Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!