Stray of the Month: October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Walker
Breed: yellow lab mix
Age: 3
-4 years
Gender: Male
Walker is an easy going lab mix who wants to celebrate the holidays with a new home! He is medium sized with short fur and white marks on his paws and belly. He likes to play but is not as energized and needy as a puppy. He has a moderate activity level so he needs regular walks and a fenced yard. He is good with adults and children older than 12 and gets along with dogs so it does not necessarily need to be a single dog home. Walker is open to making new dog friends!

Make sure to also check out Her Campus Alabama’s Pinterest and Instagram to see more pictures of Walker and other cute animals to adopt!

Name: Fiona
Colors: black/ brown tabby

Gender: Female
Age: 2 years
With Fiona’s orange collar she is ready to celebrate Halloween with you! She is an energetic tabby cat that can’t wait to get out of her cage and play. Fiona has been at Metro for 6 months and has been waiting a long time for a good home. She was given up to the shelter by her owners in April and is ready to settle into somewhere new. Fiona is not timid and will fit in well in any type of safe home.

Walker and Fiona are currently at the Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter on 35th street. Adoption times are between 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday and Saturday. There is a $50 adoption fee per animal. The animal will be up-to-date on first shots, first worming, spay/neuter, rabies certificate, heartworm test, and microchip (for dogs over 6 months).A $50 deposit is required for on all unaltered pets which will be repaid when the animal is spayed or neutered.

Before you consider adopting a pet remember, you will be required to take care of your pet both physically and financially. Make sure you have the appropriate means to be a responsible pet owner. Metro Animal Shelter WILL call your apartment complex or landlord to see if animals are allowed. If not, you will not be able to take the animal home. They want to make sure these animals will have a home for life.

For more information on adopting Walker, Fiona, or other pets from the Metro Animal Shelter visit http://www.metroanimalshelter.org/index.html. If you are looking for ways to help and not necessarily to adopt an animal, TMAS is always looking for volunteers!

Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter location: 3140 35th Street Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 (205) 752-9101

Along with TMAS, this month T-Town PAWS is also looking for volunteers for the following events. There are so many ways to help the strays!

-Saturday, October 13th to assist with PAWS’ information/adoption booth in Hoover. Shifts are 9 – 11:30 am and 11:30 – 2 pm. Volunteers are also needed to assist with kid’s activities. There will be two 30-minute shifts per person, TBA, between 9 am and noon.

-Alabama Gameday Parking volunteers are needed for the Mississippi State game on Saturday, October 27th for 2 ½ hour shifts starting at 9 am and ending 30 minutes prior to kickoff.

If interested visit http://www.t-townpaws.org/ and click on the link to send an email.

Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!