Stray of the Month: February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Shasta
Breed: Hound Mix

Age: 4 years

Characteristics: Female, Friendly, Submissive, good in a home without children or other dogs, Medium / large sized, Mild exerciser

The search is over for a true love this February, one look in Shasta’s puppy dog eyes and you will be head over heels. Shasta is a hound mix looking for love and a good home. She is friendly and obedient, she may be shy at first but gets used to her surroundings quickly. Shasta doesn’t do well with other dogs or children but is perfect for someone who is just looking for a single pet companion. Shasta is already spayed and is up to date with all of her shots and is now just looking for the right owner.

Shasta is currently at the Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter and has been there the longest of the pets that need to be adopted, she needs you to help her find a place to call home. As a bonus, during February the Metro Animal Shelter is having a special on pet adoption prices. After deciding to adopt an animal a price is drawn out of a raffle. All of the prices that can be drawn are between 10 and 25 dollars. February is the perfect month to make Shasta one happy pup. The usual adoption fees are around $50 for a puppy or dog and $35 for any kitten or cat adoption. The fee is in place to keep the effort going in feeding and protecting more than just that one adopted dog.

T-Town PAWS also wants to remind you it is spay/neuter awareness month. Alabama state law now mandates that all animals be spayed or neutered when adopting from an animal shelter. Spaying and neutering your pets helps to cut down on the amount of animals getting put into shelters because it reduces companion animal overpopulation. Throughout the month of February (and all year long), T-Town PAWS will be providing ongoing information and resources to promote spay/neuter awareness. Before you consider adopting a pet remember, you will be required to take care of your pet both physically and financially. Make sure you have the appropriate means to be a responsible pet owner.

Check out the T-Town PAWS website and Facebook page for more information:

www.t-townpaws.org http://www.facebook.com/ttownpaws

For more information on adopting Shasta or other pets from the Metro Animal Shelter visit

http://www.metroanimalshelter.org/index.html

3140 35th Street  (205) 752-9101

Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!