Oscar Buzz: ‘The Descendants’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

While watching the critically acclaimed film The Descendants, once I got past drooling over George Clooney, beautiful as ever in his golden years, it was impossible for me not to be impressed by Secret Life of the American Teenager star Shailene Woodley holding her own. It would have been easy for the 20-year old actress to get lost in Clooney’s super-emotional portrayal of Matt King, lawyer and self-proclaimed “back-up” parent of two daughters whose wife has recently slipped into a coma. Woodley commands the screen as his fiery, foul-mouthed, drug-abusing daughter, Alexandra.

Seeing how well she acted in The Descendants, I was surprised to find out that Woodley could have missed out on the role entirely in favor of working in retail. According to an interview with blackbookmag, while on hiatus from Secret Life, Woodley got the call from her manager that director Alexander Payne wanted to meet her in LA to have coffee. At the time she was in her second day on the job with American Apparel and didn’t want to go because of her commitment to work at the store. There’s a lesson in that little anecdote, about ethics and morals collegiettes.

After years of watching, what I consider, Woodley’s one-dimensional performance in Secret Life–which is mainly fake-crying, yelling and weird, stilted dialogue–I was skeptical of all the critical acclaim she has been getting. However, when I saw her more subtle, believable performance in the film, I started to understand what the fuss was all about. Though, admittedly, it was weird to hear so much cursing from that sweet looking face. If you’ve heard about her big underwater crying scene, it is one of the film’s most poignant moments.

While it is easy to draw parallels between what are sure to become two of Woodley’s best know characters, Alexandra King and Amy Juergens, her character on Secret Life–both girls are dramatic teenagers in crisis–the differences in the way Woodley plays them are night and day. Her portrayal of Alexandra is heartfelt and dynamic, while Amy Juergens often seems like a one-trick pony (the trick being able to produce tears). This is may be due in large part to different writing and directing styles. One of director Alexander Payne’s main critiques was for Woodley to be “slower and louder”, which is a marked improvement over the choppy, repetitive dialogue of Secret Life. It probably doesn’t hurt to have an actor like George Clooney mentoring her either.

In the wake of The Descendants, there is a lot of talk about this being Woodley’s break-out role and her big year. In reality, the California native has been on the acting scene since age 6 doing various shows and made for TV movies, until making a splash with her starring role on Secret Life opposite Molly Ringwald. Now she has more credibility than that of a teen soap star. In an interview with Collider, the actress said she would like to take on roles like “a really dark, messed up character,” but since her contract with Secret Life will last two more years, she may be able to ride the momentum of The Descendants into more serious roles. However, momentum shouldn’t be a problem with the acting skill and intelligence she demonstrated as Alexandra King.

Right now it’s hard to tell what this big time role will mean for Woodley’s career. The many awards and nominations she’s gained are sure to make directors keep their eyes on her. For now we can expect to see her in at least one more season of Secret Life. Beyond that, she could be anywhere from the silver screen to working your local mall. One thing is certain, it will be interesting to watch Woodley transition from teen star to serious actress. Woodley has said in interviews that she won’t do another movie until the script gives her “butterflies” as the script The Descendants did.

Image source: WikiMedia Commons
Sources: http://www.blackbookmag.com/movies/shailene-woodley-on-the-descendants-e…

http://collider.com/shailene-woodley-interview-the-descendants/127256/

Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!