Michelle Pearson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Michelle Pearson

Hometown: Dallas, TX

Major: Computer Science with minors in Cyber Criminology and Math on the STEM Path to the MBA

Favorite TV shows: Gossip Girl and Survivor

What has your experience been like as an out-of-state student? “Amazing! I’ve made a ton of awesome friends early on, which quickly made Tuscaloosa feel like my new home.”

Why did you choose your major? “I chose Computer Science as my major because I love the flexibility that comes with the major. I can literally work for whomever I want doing almost anything I want. Also, I find CS super fun and rewarding.”

Do you have any advice for girls who are thinking about being computer science majors? “Stick with it! As a girl, you’ll be in the minority but I think that’s about to change plus, companies are currently being forced to hire more women so you’ll be heavily recruited!”

What is your favorite part about being in a sorority? “The fact that I get to meet girls with so many different backgrounds and majors. As a STEM major, there (obviously) aren’t many girls in my classes so I think being in a sorority has given me the opportunity to meet lots of amazing girls at UA.”

Describe your dream date. “Adventuring somewhere I’ve never been before. Walking and talking through a forest, along a river, or even through campus. What better way to get to know a guy than by seeing where he likes to hang?”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “Don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself and your rights, but always do so with respect and love.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.