free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Lesson For The Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

If you’re in college you have heard of the internship. It’s this mystical, door opening, life-altering position. If you’re like me, the whole interning thing sounds a bit too hyped up. I took one anyway. Internships are invaluable experiences. Of course, you’ll learn some career things, but what makes an internship amazing is the lessons life throws at you, not your boss.

When I decided to take my position, I was a wreck. I was nervous. I was afraid of the hype. I was dreading taking a 40 hour a week commitment. I had overblown the company’s expectations of me, and I knew I would never meet these fictional benchmarks. I walked in knowing nothing, and guess what, I didn’t die. Companies KNOW you know nothing. You haven’t worked in the field, or anywhere, before. They know that no matter what your resume says you will be green. Don’t let not knowing stop you from doing something. We all start as beginners in our careers and our lives. That’s why we go to school or listen to gurus. So, let yourself be new and soak up everything you can. You’re going to suck and that is the most fun part. Don’t let being new stop you.

Being an intern means adjusting to some crazy new things like a 40 hour work week and not having time for yourself. Suddenly your parents being exhausted at a desk job makes total sense to you. I fell into the pattern of eating, work, sleep, repeat. It feels like there is no time. Suddenly, 24 hours is not enough. I had to learn to make myself a priority again. I had to learn to have some sort of self-care even when I felt like there wasn’t time. Whether self-care is doing laundry and picking up or actually taking a bath, do it. You cannot function without taking care of you first. Just do something every day for you.

Whether it’s self-care, trying something new, or something else entirely. Being an intern will stretch you and teach you. There are going to be moments of frustration. There will be moments of breakthrough. You will learn with each of these moments. Take the lessons and appreciate your experience. Internships may be super hyped, but it’s for a reason, they teach you so much. Take the opportunity and learn. Trust me it’s worth it.

Mads Romines

Alabama '22

Alabama native, Mads passes her time playing guitar, studying engineering, and obsessing over tattoos. Her love of Game of Thrones may be new, but her passion is unmet. When it is Alabama Football season you can find her screaming in the stands or in front of the TV. A Blount Scholar and Engineering student, Mads aims to become the worlds most prolific eco-home business woman the world has yet to see. You can find out more on her Instagram page: mads_romines
I am currently enrolled and The Univerity of Alabama. A travel enthusiast who plans to see the whole world from the window of my tiny house. I believe that exploring the world and learning about other cultures is the cure of prejudice. There are something many places and people to meet, and i just want to share my experiences.