Jensen Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Jensen Brown

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Major:  double majoring in Anthropology and Geology, minoring in Evolutionary Studies

Favorite book: Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series

Favorite place to study on campus:  Smith Hall (I love to sit around the fossils)

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Mugshots or Which Wich

What is your favorite part about your major? “I love the different perspectives they allow me. Anthropology helps me understand how people work, from individuals to entire civilizations and it really gives me new insight into how history happened. and geology lets me interpret the past through what is left now, and understand the world as a whole system.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “A Blount seminar: ‘Plagues Poxes and Pestilence: An Anthropology of Disease’ with Dr. Jacobi. learning about how diseases have affected human populations and shaped history was really fascinating!”

If your life were an icecream flavor what would it be? Smores! 

Who is your celebrity crush? Janelle Monae 

Describe your dream date: “Lunch at a little local restaurant then going to a museum or aquarium.”

Describe yourself in three words. outdoorsy, inquisitive, sunny 

What do you like to do in your free time? “I do fossil prep so I spend a lot of time on that, and I also like hiking and scuba diving! I’m an amateur at nature identification (plants, fungi, animals) too.” 

What do you think is your best quality? “I’m really good at focusing for hours on research, and I always end up with lots of trivia because I look up everything.”

What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten? “You’re not required to be the same person every day or even every minute. You never stop learning and growing and you don’t have to stagnate, just to present outwardly as the same.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “As a grad student or PhD candidate for a lab, hopefully! I want to continue with research and eventually work for a university or museum.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.