Culture > News

If You Need One Last Push to Vote, This Is It.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus Media. 

On Thursday, Oct. 29, I was fortunate to attend a press conference with Her Campus founder Windsor Western and New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. Senator Gillibrand has served in the US Senate since 2009, and she is a member of the Democratic Party. She also served in the House of Representatives from 2007-2009. The Senator has worked to combat global climate change, fight for women’s reproductive rights and universal healthcare, and end gun violence. The most important message that Senator Gillibrand stressed was the absolute necessity for college women, like you, to exercise their right to vote. 

The time has finally come- it’s Election Day. If you are still indecisive on who to vote for, take some time to research and make it happen. Your voice matters as a college woman. You are young and will be entering the workforce soon. You create the future because you ARE the future. “If young, college-age women don’t vote, then those who get elected won’t actually represent our values,” Senator Gillibrand said.

This election is particularly important, given the circumstances of this past year. “It’s probably the most important election of your lifetime. The issues on the ballot like access to healthcare, access to jobs and having an economy that grows and works for everyone, how we recover from this pandemic and the economic collapse that follows it, are all at stake,” said the Senator. If you are not happy with how things have unraveled this past year, whether it impacted yourself personally, your family, your community, or your country, it is up to you to cast your vote and make a change. 

For many of us, this is our first time voting in a presidential election. Instead of letting this overwhelm you, let it empower you. When asked about first-time voters, Senator Gillibrand said, “We have such an opportunity for first-time voters. I think they are coming out to vote in record numbers… I think it’s really important for people to vote, vote their conscience, vote their values, and if they vote, we will win.”

Even if you have already voted, there are more ways to stay politically engaged beyond the election. When asked how women can remain politically active, Senator Gillibrand said, “Tell their friends to vote, make sure everyone they know and love has a plan to vote, make sure your family has a plan to vote…I think it’s really important that everyone that you know and love is engaged in this process, because it’s our country, it’s your future, it’s our democracy that’s at stake.” Beyond the election, not matter the outcome, keep fighting for your rights and the rights of others. This is not the end. Keep sharing and spreading the word on issues that matter to you. Being a citizen in this democracy is all about educating yourself and others, and then using what you have learned to stand up for what’s right. 

biden
HCM Design

I was so honored to attend the press conference with Senator Gillibrand. Her values, along with the values of Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party, align with the values and issues that matter to college women. The Biden Harris campaign and Senator Gillibrand care about our reproductive rights, our families, and our futures, and it’s up to us college women to vote and protect these values and more.  

It’s not too late. Go use your voice. Make a change. Visit iwillvote.com to see your options to vote today!

Madeline is a senior studying public relations at the University of Alabama. She launched the Her Campus Alabama chapter in 2020. When she's not obsessing over liquid blush and lip gloss, she's day dreaming about moving to New York.