Style > Beauty

ICYMI: Top Makeup Hacks from Too Faced’s Global Beauty Director, Elyse Reneau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette was your go-to palette in middle school. After attending the Her Campus x Too Faced Beauty School, I am officially obsessed with Too Faced all over again. The three-hour webinar, hosted by Her Campus co-founder Annie Wang, covered the latest makeup tips and trends that I’m SO excited to try out. My favorite part of Beauty School was Elyse Reneau’s makeup tutorial with Her Campus co-founder, Windsor Western. Here’s Reneau’s tips and tricks to level up your makeup routine:

Always prep and prime your face, including your lips!

Reneau recommends always prepping your skin before starting your makeup routine. Liquid products are either water or oil-based, so use the same type of base for your entire routine. So, if you use an oil-based primer, make sure to use an oil-based concealer and foundation. If you have oily skin and enlarged pores, she recommends applying the Primed & Poreless Primer to areas of texture on your face. If you have dry skin, the Hangover Primer is the way to go! 

For your lips, apply the Lip Injection Plumping Lip Gloss to prep and plump your lips for gloss. This is a cult favorite, and there’s a reason it’s the #1 Lip Gloss in America! The last step of makeup prep is the most important: applying sunscreen. Reneau stresses putting SPF on your face and neck to protect your skin from UV rays and blue light from screens. Once you’re prepped, you’re ready for the next step! 

For foundation and concealer, it’s not about how much you apply but how you apply it.

To apply foundation, Reneau uses a brush and starts in the middle of her face and applies out and down, extending down her neck. There is no need to put foundation under your eye, which can result in product buildup. Many people forget this, but make sure you apply foundation to the area around the corner of your jaw, below your ears. Also, if you are being photographed, make sure you put foundation on your ears to match your face!

The goal of concealer is to bring a lift to your face, so use a concealer that is 1-2 shades lighter than your foundation. Apply concealer up to the corner of the eye and then upward on the outer corner of your eye. When using the Born This Way Concealer, there is no need to create a traditional triangle under the eye, because it will result in too much product and creasing. To blend, use dabbing motions down and over with a damp Beauty Blender, and be sure to look upwards to blend into the tiny creases below your eye. 

Use contouring to bring out your best features.

Reneau says the goal of contouring is to bring out your best features, so take a look at your face to see which parts you want to enhance. To contour, brush the bronzer upwards into your cheekbone. You can also apply some bronzer around your forehead and jawline, if you’d like! No matter where you want to contour, apply bronzer on the points where the sun hits. 

For highlighter, start at the top of your cheekbones and use an eyeshadow brush to apply strategically. Reneau recommends applying highlighter to where the light hits when you smile. Also, avoid applying highlighter on textured areas of your skin. To lift your face, apply blush on your cheek bones about two inches away from the corner of your nose. Don’t be afraid to apply a little extra blush, since it soaks into your skin first. The Natural Face Palette is a great palette for this step! To finish, blend everything out with a clean brush, and spray only the sides of your face using the Hangover 3-in-1 Setting Spray. Finally, apply your favorite Lip Injection Lip Gloss, and you’re ready to slay the day!      

Safe to say, I’m obsessed with Too Faced, Reneau’s makeup tips, and everything the company stands for! Jerrod Blandino, Co-Founder and Chief Creative Officer of Too Faced Cosmetics is inspiring, incredibly hardworking, and not to mention, a complete bada**. In an interview with Windsor Western, Blandino said, “It’s my greatest hope that you’ll feel the most yourself in my brand.” Blandino’s goal for Too Faced is clear: “We want you to win and be the best version of yourself.” 

You can watch (or rewatch!) Beauty School HERE, and be sure to follow @toofaced@jerrodblandino, and @elysereneau on Instagram to keep up with all things Too Faced! 

Madeline is a senior studying public relations at the University of Alabama. She launched the Her Campus Alabama chapter in 2020. When she's not obsessing over liquid blush and lip gloss, she's day dreaming about moving to New York.