I Attended Druid City PrideFest and This is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

On October 15th, 2017, I attended Druid City PrideFest. I had never been to any type of Pride event before, so when I arrived at the small courtyard downtown Tuscaloosa, I had no idea what to expect.

As someone who identifies as a straight cis female, I can only give my experience as an ally of the LGBTQA+ community, but I felt in no way out of place. There was something for everyone at PrideFest. No matter who you are, there was a place for you.

After spending a few hours laughing, singing, and engaging with the community in the blazing heat, I can genuinely say it was one of the best events I have ever attended in Tuscaloosa.

This year’s PrideFest featured a lot of amazing speakers, performers and food. Some of my favorites were the West Alabama AIDS Outreach and the Drag Extravaganza. The event was filled with helpful and fun activities.

The tables and vendors set up all around the courtyard were definitely the most influential and important parts of PrideFest. Many UA groups took part in the festivities, such as Unite for Reproduction and Gender Equity, the Women and Gender Resource Center, Capstone Alliance, and Safe Zone.

If you are a woman, in the LGBTQA+ community, or just want to support some awesome groups on your campus, then Pride would be a great place to learn about all of these mentioned, plus many more. PrideFest really went above and beyond with the resources, activities, and great entertainment offered to those who attended.

What I learned from my experience at PrideFest this year was that I will definitely be attending again in the future. There was something so amazing about being surrounded by people who wanted to have fun and celebrate who they are. An atmosphere of acceptance and inclusiveness was =heavily present throughout.

I cannot wait to see what Druid City PrideFest has in store for me and my friends in 2018.

Alabama Contributor