How the Off Weekend Meant Good Things for UA Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

This past weekend was Alabama’s bye weekend, however during the break many things changed due to all of the upsets, blowouts and nail-biters.

Below is the Top 10 from both the AP Poll and USA Today Poll from week 6.

1. The turn this weekend began in Gainesville where the Florida Gators faced longtime SEC rival LSU. Overall it was a pretty slow moving game, with the only points scored in the first half from two field goals by LSU kicker Drew Alleman.

In the second half, the Gators came out chomping—scoring two 12-yard runs from senior running back Mike Gillislee and holding LSU scoreless.

Final: FLORIDA 14 LSU 6

2. Florida State, most likely, has lost all hope in going to the National Championship based on their performance this weekend against ACC rival North Carolina State University.

The game came down to the final seconds with a 2-yard touchdown pass on fourth down from NC State quarterback Mike Glennon to beat the #3 Florida State Seminoles. It was the upset of the week.

Final: NC STATE 17 FSU 16

3. The shutout – College GameDay joined hundreds of thousands of fans in Columbia, SC Saturday for the battle between the #5 South Carolina Gamecocks and the #6 Georgia Bulldawgs. The Gamecocks dominated from start to finish, beating on the Dawgs in both offense and defense.

Final: SOUTH CAROLINA 35 GEORGIA 7

Below is the Top 10 from both the AP Poll and USA Today Poll from week 7 after this weekends shocking outcomes.

With regards to this past weekend’s results: college football is getting interesting.

Sources:
ESPN Polls week 6: http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/6
ESPN Polls week 7: http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/7

Victoria, the Sports Columnist for Her Campus Alabama, is a sophomore at the University of Alabama originally from Philadelphia, PA.  With a major in Communications and minor in Public Relations, Victoria plans to pursue her dream to work in sports whether it be for ESPN, a NFL franchise, or behind a desk sports-blogging. Victoria plans to work this summer, study abroad in Rome next spring, and get a summer internship in NYC next year. If she is not watching SportsCenter, E! News, or Duke Lacrosse, you can most likely find her blogging on her personal blog. http://socalledsecret.wordpress.com/
Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!