How-To: Understand Basketball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Yes, I do attend a university with arguably the nation’s most dominant football program in NCAA history; however basketball has always been a big part of my life. Since I can remember, basketball has been a passion of mine—most importantly, a passion that I could participate in.

Many people grow up following a favorite team, whether football, basketball or baseball: we are all fans of something. For me, it was the Villanova Wildcats out of Villanova, Penn. As a season ticket holder, growing up going to the Pavilion (the name of Villanova’s arena) are some of the greatest memories of my life.

Additionally, I am not the only one in my family who attends a university with a dominant sports program. My older brother is a senior lacrosse player at Duke University, and although the Blue Devils have a phenomenal lacrosse team; Duke is known for their basketball team. In fact, Duke vs. the University of North Carolina is a rivalry in the basketball world comparable to the Alabama vs. Auburn rivalry of the football world.

Well, basketball is my forte. It’s a great sport; one that I believe is taken for granted in some places. Below are the ins and outs of the great game that I have come to love through my basketball experience, the Villanova Wildcats, and the Duke/UNC rivalry.

[pagebreak]

The Basics

The Court

[pagebreak]

Player Positions

Guards: The guards are the shortest players on the court, and they’re generally responsible for bringing the ball down the court, running the offense and setting up offensive players.

Offensively—bring the ball down the court, passing and setting up the offense. Also responsible for driving to the basket and also be perimeter shooters. 

Defensively—responsible for stealing the ball from the opponent, challenging shots, keeping the ball outside of the three-point line away from the basket.

Specific Names for Guards:

1. Point Guard
  2. Shooting Guard

Forwards: There are usually two forwards in basketball. These players are taller then guards, but not the tallest on the court.

Offensively—responsible for the wings and the corners of the three-point line, take outside shots and rebound.

Defensively—preventing drives, guarding the corners and sides of the lane and rebounding.

Specific Names for Forwards:

1. Small Forward
  2. Power Forward

Center: The tallest player on the team, located closest to the basket in the center of the lane.       

Offensively—responsible for inside shots, also aids the offense by picking and setting screens near the basket. Additionally, responsible for the offensive rebounds and put-backs.

Defensively—responsible for preventing the offense from shooting, blocking shots and dominating rebound play.

[pagebreak]

Fouls and Violations

Fouls

Personal fouls include any of the following physical contact offensively or defensively:

1. Pushing/shoving
  2. Hitting/slapping
  3. Holding (of the jersey or part of the body)
  4. Illegal Screen or Pick: when an offensive player is moving, and purposefully sticks out a limb to make physical contact with the defensive player in order to obstruct the path of the defender.

Personal Fouls Penalties

When a player is fouled while shooting, the offensive player is allotted foul shots (or also known as free-throws) on the foul line. If the shot goes in, the offensive player has one foul shot (free-throw) and if the shot does not go in, the offensive player as two foul shots (free-throws).

If the player is fouled while shooting beyond the three-point line the player is allotted three foul shots. However, if the three-point shot is made, the player is allowed one foul shot.

One & One is a penalty rule for when when a team commits seven or more fouls. The player fouled on the seventh foul is rewarded a foul shot and if the player makes the foul shot,  then he is the given the chance to shoot again. If the first shot does not go in, once the ball hits the rim of the basket it is a free ball for rebound.

If the team committing the fouls has ten or more fouls, then the tenth person and so on is allotted two foul shots, no matter what.

Personal Foul Glossary

Charge—an offensive foul; when an offensive player pushes or runs into a still defensive player causing the player to fall over. The ball is immediately given to the team the foul was committed upon.

Blocking—a defensive foul with illegal physical contact where the defensive player obstructs the offensive players path to the basket with no positioning, or sometimes also when the defensive player blocks a shot with physical contact. (blocking a shot is only legal when the defensive player blocks the ball only with no physical contact)

Flagrant Foul—when opposing teams becoming violent towards one another, resulting in a foul shot and possession of the ball.

Intentional Foul— physical contact with an opposing player with no intention of stealing the ball, just a tactic to frustrate the opponent; a very difficult foul to call and it is solely based on a referee’s judgment.

Technical Foul—this is a foul that can be committed by a player or coach; a foul dedicated to the behavior of the coach or player. Misbehaving, foul language, disrespect, obscenity, and arguing with anyone can be considered a technical foul, resulting in two free throw shots to the team opposite of the technical; with no other players located on the court, just a single shooter at the foul-line.

Violations

Backcourt Violation—once the team with the ball brings the ball over half court during possession, they cannot return back over the half court line. If this occurs, the team on defense during the possession is awarded the ball to pass inbounds.

Carrying—also known as palming (the ball), when the player is dribbling the ball and the dribbling hand is located under the ball.

Double Dribble—when the ball is dribbled with two hands on the ball, picked up and then dribbled again.

Goaltending—if a player obstructs a ball that has already hit the backboard or the rim of the basket that was clearly going to in the basket.

Walking/Traveling—taking a more then a step and a half without dribbling the ball, and also moving the pivot foot once the player has stopped dribbling and has the ball in their hands.

[pagebreak]

Glossary

Assist—a pass to a teammate who then immediately scores after the pass or after one dribble.

Air ball—an unblocked shot that misses the backboard, or the rim of the basket.

Backdoor Cut—an offensive play or tactic in which a player along the perimeter looks as if they will be receiving the ball drawing the defender towards them away from the basket, then cuts abruptly behind them towards the basket for a bounce pass, usually resulting in a lay-up.

Ball fake—the player with the ball suddenly flashes the ball to one player without giving it up, “faking” the defensive player to go the opposite direction in order for the player with possession to, pass it to another player, shoot it or drive to the basket.

Bounce Pass—a pass that bounces once before reaching the receiver of the pass.

Box-and-one—when a defense plays a combination of man-to-man and zone defense, four defenders play zone defense, and the fifth defender plays one player man-to-man.

Box Out—after a shot in order to get rebound the opposing (defensive) player positions themselves a barrier between the player and the basket by widening their stance, and arms in order to get a rebound.

Chest Pass—a pass thrown from the chest.

Dunk—to score by putting the ball directly in the basket using one or both hands, touching or gripping the rim.

Fast Break—team with possession of the ball (usually occurs after defensive rebounds), attempts to push the ball of the court faster then usual in order to score without play calling. Teams that are in good condition use fast breaks the most, very fast-pace tactic.

Layup—a close-range shot, closest shot besides a dunk, by using one hand to bank the ball off the small square on the backboard into the basket.

Outlet Pass—a pass thrown to a guard from a rebounder usually a forward or center in order to start a fast break.

Pivot Foot—the foot that must remain touching the floor while the ball is within possession without dribbling in order to avoid traveling.

Screen (also known as “pick”)—an attempt of an offensive player to obstruct the path of a defender in order for an offensive player to get open to shoot, receive the ball, or pass the ball.

Swish—a shot that does not touch the rim and goes right through the net of the basket.

Turnover— a loss of possession.

[pagebreak]

Basic Defense: Man-to-Man Defense vs. Zone Defense

Man-to-Man Defense is a type of defense in which each player is assigned to follow and defend a single player on offense, typically guarding their counterpart (point guard usually guards a point guard). A very fast pace offense, and it is usually used in order to expose slow players. Teams that play man-to-man defense are in great condition, with an eagerness to tire out the opposing team.

Zone Defense is a type of defense in which each player is assigned a specific “area” to defend. There are different formations of zone defense, along with different types.

Formations:

1. 2-3 Zone: the point guard and shooting guard cover the top of the key, and the wings. Therefore, the forwards and center cover the baseline and the middle of the paint/lane.
  2. 3-2 Zone: the point guard, shooting guard, and small forward cover from the wings, and the top of the key, lined up at the foul line from the both wings to the middle. The power forward and center guard the baseline, and the middle of the paint.
  3. 1-2-2 Zone: the point guard covers the top of key, the shooting guard and small forward guard the two wings lined up at the foul line, while the center and power forward are located at the baselines on opposite sides of the lane.
  4. 1-3-1 Zone: the point guard covers the top of the key, the shooting guard, both forwards cover the middle between the top of the key and the baseline along the foul line, and the center covers the baseline under the basket.   

Types:

1. Match-Up Zone: used in all three formations. When a player with the ball enters the lane, or within the perimeter is therefore immediately picked up similar to man-to-man defense.
  2. Box-and-One Zone: when a defense plays a combination of man-to-man and zone defense, four defenders play zone defense, and the fifth defender plays one player man-to-man.

[pagebreak]

Basic Offense

Motion Offense is the offensive scheme designed for constant movement, with no pre-planned cuts or passes, and often called “Read and React.” Motion offense gives players full responsibility to read the defense and react by moving with or without the ball. Motion offense is ran against all defenses, and is the most commonly used offense.

There are different types of motion offense categorized by the amount of players inside and outside the perimeter.

Types:

1. Two-Out / Three-In Motion—two players outside the perimeter and three players in the post.
  2. Three-Out / Two-In Motion—three players outside the perimeter and two players in the post.
  3. Four-Out / One-In Motion—four players outside the perimeter and one player in the post.
  4. Five Out Motion—all five players on the perimeter.

[pagebreak]

A Few Things I Reccomend To Watch:

This past summer was the 20th anniversary of the Dream Team, the 1992 United States’ men’s Olympic basketball team, the first time the team consisted of NBA players. The team was nothing shy of incredible coached by the late Charles Daly.

The roster:

Michael Jordan

Larry Bird

Magic Johnson

Charles Barkley

Karl Malone

Scottie Pippen

David Robinson

Patrick Ewing

John Stockton

Chris Mullin

Clyde Drexler

Christian Laettner

NBA Television did a documentary this summer about the 1992 Dream Team. This documentary is something I strongly suggest watching for all sports fan. Google  “‘The Dream Team’ Documentary,” you will not be sorry.

Another suggestion is The Jimmy V 1993 ESPY Speech, it will send chills down your spine. And when I heard it, it just reassured my love for the game of basketball, and my appreciation for life. Here is the YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

Well there you have it. The basic ins and outs of America’s beloved game of basketball.

Photo Credit:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1001/dream.team.1992.classic.photos/images/team-photo.jpg

Victoria, the Sports Columnist for Her Campus Alabama, is a sophomore at the University of Alabama originally from Philadelphia, PA.  With a major in Communications and minor in Public Relations, Victoria plans to pursue her dream to work in sports whether it be for ESPN, a NFL franchise, or behind a desk sports-blogging. Victoria plans to work this summer, study abroad in Rome next spring, and get a summer internship in NYC next year. If she is not watching SportsCenter, E! News, or Duke Lacrosse, you can most likely find her blogging on her personal blog. http://socalledsecret.wordpress.com/
Alabama Contributor