Style > Fashion

How to Stay Sustainable & Fashionable this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

As temperatures begin to dip lower across the country and the holiday season fast approaches, its easy to get swept up in the consumerism that envelops the nation this time of year. And I’ll admit I have definitely bought into the mania, especially when it comes to new trends and winter staples. I’m a sucker for cozy coats and almost any style of boot. However, sustainable shopping and simply being more thoughtful of what you’re buying when making purchases this season is a huge step in the right direction. Practicing and promoting a more sustainable lifestyle is not only good for the environment but will very likely be good for your wallet in the long run as well.

So here are a few things to consider this year if you’re looking to add some new pieces to your winter wardrobe.

I’ll say it once and I’ll Say it a million times: Thrift stores.

Listen my love for thrift stores may be unmatched. There is no better place to start when it comes to sustainable shopping than at your local thrift store. Not only is it a less expensive option, but often most money spent there goes towards a good cause or to help the local community. This makes it a win-win scenario if you ask me.

I’ve also found that thrift store have TONS of classic and staple pieces that most people look for during the winter season. Looking for a new trench or wool coat? How about some basic long sleeves or sweaters? There are always some to be found, and if you can’t find them at your local store, try venturing out to other nearby locations or even online thrift stores, because trust me they’re out there.

Not only are these winter staples less expensive than buying new versions, but older or more vintage clothes are often made out of better-quality fabrics. This means that they will last longer and be more durable than fast fashion clothing produced today. These materials are also better for the environment, usually constructed of more natural materials such as wool, cotton or linens, which do less long-term damage compared to modern manmade synthetics like polyester, acrylic, and rayon.

So, in review those “new” pieces you’re looking for are already out there, are less expensive, and most likely better quality. You just have to be willing to look a little harder and potentially get a little dirty, but I promise you the work is almost always worth the reward.

Spend more time considering before checking out.

This one may seem a bit obvious but stick with me. In this fast paced, online, grab and go world, we tend to become a bit mindless when making purchases. You can’t tell me you’ve never bought a piece, gotten excited to wear it, had it show up or taken it home, only for it to end up never worn and forgotten in the back of your closet. I wouldn’t believe you. Most people are guilty of impulse buying at least once; it’s almost human nature by now.

So, all I’m saying is that it’s important to recognize this so you can pump the breaks before diving in next time. One easy way to do this is to create either wish lists on the stores website or to save links to the items you’re considering. This way you can spend a few days or maybe weeks to consider what you really need, want, and love before making the commitment.

Doing this has not only saved me money but also helped me realize what styles I wear most often and gravitate towards. What is something you can see yourself wearing for years versus things that are currently trendy, but not something long term? Taking this time to reflect is crucial. Some things I consider are: Do I have something similar to this already? Is this something that will go with pieces I already own? And, how practical is this for my lifestyle in reality? For example, as someone who hails from Southern California and as much as I love thick wool coats, they are sadly not very practical or necessary for our “winters.”

When in doubt, share.

Whether it be a family member, friend, or roommate, there are probably more people around you who you can borrow or share items with than you might think. For example, even though I don’t have any sisters, my mom and I are similar sizes so she is someone who I can borrow pieces from occasionally. However, let me also say, you don’t have to borrow clothes from someone of the same gender identity. I have found many good flannels and sweatshirt in my brothers’ and dads’ closets, albeit sometimes a bit smellier than those of my mom but none the less cozy.

Additionally, if you happen to have a close friend, roommate, or sibling nearby around this time of year, something else to consider is buying pieces with the intention of sharing them. The only catch is you need to have similar styles to an extent. It’s also possible this might cause some issues if you have difficulties sharing. However, not only would it be a good lesson for you in that department, but it would allow you to try out items out for less by sharing the financial burden. And if in time you find you really love the item, this can help you can feel more confident when buying your own if you later choose to.

Lastly, start looking to invest in your wardrobe.

Finally, if you still have that piece or pieces that you are really wanting and have spent time reflecting on its importance, consider paying a bit more to make it an investment in your closet.

Listen, I know a lot of brands or designers that produce higher quality and sustainable styles cost a pretty penny. And, as someone who is very much so surviving on a college student budget, I realize this isn’t an option for some people. But if it is something you really want to do, saving up and budgeting in order to buy that piece that will last you way longer than some $25 version from Shein is not only worth it but doable.

I just went through this when I finally made the plunge and bought my first ever pair of Doc Marten boots. When I tell you I thought about purchasing these for years, I mean it. The price of these babies was high enough where I really felt I needed to time to reflect on just exactly how much I liked and would wear them. With that being said, let me also follow up with the fact that it was worth it. 100%. Instead of buying them the moment I decided I liked them, taking time to research, getting opinions from friends and family, and thinking about which style I would really like long-term has made me appreciate and love them even more.

My last recommendation if you’re nervous to make such a big purchase this year is to perhaps opt for more classic cuts or styles. Though they may not be as fun or seemly in style right now, your 30-year-old self will thank you for it later.

cj wolfe

Alabama '23

Cj is a current junior at the University of Alabama, majoring in Apparel Design with a minor in Studio Art and International Studies. Orignially from Southern California, she enjoys reading, film photography, relaxing at the beach and spending time with her friends and family. In addition to Her Campus UA she is a 4.0 student, CHES Crenshaw Leadership Academy fellow, and a third-year member of the Pi Beta Phi Sorority.