hawaii acai bowl smoothie food yummy fruit colorful
Her Campus Media

How to Make a Perfect Smoothie Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Smoothie bowls are delicious. I am a firm believer that smoothie bowls can and should be eaten all 12 months of the year, at any point in the day. Their glaring flaw, however, is their price point.  Just one smoothie bowl can often cost $10-15. But once you get the hang of it, you can make smoothie bowls at home that are just as good for a fraction of the price! Here are my tips on how to perfect your at-home smoothie bowl.

Make it Thick

When I first started making my own smoothie bowls, they would always be too thin and melt too quickly. The key to a solid consistency is adding as little liquid as possible. I typically use whatever juice I have on hand, but a non-dairy milk (or even water if you’re desperate!) will work well too. You need to add enough so that it will blend, but not more! Bananas (either fresh or frozen) are also an integral part to a well-blended, thick smoothie bowl. Never forget the banana!

Be Patient

Blenders vary drastically in quality. If you don’t have a fancy blender, you are going to have to be patient. Try adding your ingredients a little at a time and be sure to scrape down the sides of the blender before blending again. It will likely not blend perfectly after just one try.

Add Veggies

I know it can be intimidating if you aren’t used to putting vegetables in your smoothie, but trust me, you can’t taste it! I always add a couple of handfuls of spinach in my smoothie bowls, and I never notice the taste. I will occasionally add frozen cauliflower too. It sounds a little crazy, but you can’t tell at all and it gives you an extra boost of nutrients!

Chia Seeds

Chia seeds are rich in protein and fiber and are a great way to add some health benefits to your smoothie bowls! If you like chia seeds, buying them in bulk (rather than prepackaged containers) will save you some money. I also recommend using chia seeds as a topping, rather than an ingredient in your smoothie. Putting them in the blender will just make it harder for you to clean the blender! If you don’t like the texture of chia seeds, lots of grocery stores sell ground chia seeds. Its powder consistency is perfect for blending in with your other ingredients!

Perfect the Peanut Butter

Peanut butter can elevate any smoothie bowl. However, it can be awkward to dollop on top. If you love peanut butter as much as I do, I recommend spreading peanut butter along the sides of your bowl before you pour in the smoothie. This way, you can make sure you can get a little bit of peanut butter in every bite. Another method is to melt the peanut butter in the microwave and drizzle it on top, which is also very effective and looks pretty for an Instagram photo!

There you have it! I hope these tips inspire you go forth and save money by making your own delicious smoothie bowls. If you make one, post your picture and tag us @hercampusbama on Instagram. Happy blending!  

Zoe Bennett

Alabama '23

Zoe is from Portland, Oregon, studying Environmental Engineering at the University of Alabama!
Alabama Contributor