Anna Schultz-Friends Laughing In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Find Love During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

As a little girl, I stayed up late at night wondering what my future would look like. I pictured who I’d become, who I’d marry and how many kids I’d have. Some days, I’d dream of being president, but most days, I’d dream of love. Isn’t that what everyone wants? A great love that lasts forever. As children, we’re read books about far away princes rescuing princesses and living happily ever after. We grow up waiting for that special someone to walk in and the whole world just becomes…more.

But one thing that the fairy tales got wrong is that love is not confined to a relationship or person, nor is it a season or holiday aesthetic, despite what Hollywood sells you.

So to everyone who is alone or heartbroken during the holidays, this what I have to say to you:

Love isn’t only found in intimate relationships. Love is in friendships, family, faith, culture, and most importantly, yourself. So even if you’re binge-watching every romantic comedy on TV with pounds of chocolate for comfort like I am this holiday season, find new things to fall in love with. The holidays are more than presents and yummy desserts. It’s about acknowledging the world around you and recognizing how truly loved you are. So, choose this time to reflect on the amazing life around you.

Enjoy the cold weather, go celebrate, eat amazing food, travel, dance and laugh! The world is filled with opportunity, seize it. Like Arthur Rubinstein once said, “I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.”

Be merry and who knows, you might just fall in love. Happy Holidays!

Amara Rivera

Alabama '23

My name is Amara Rivera and I am from San Diego, California. I am a sophomore at The University of Alabama, majoring in International Relations and minoring in both Italian and Arabic. I plan on attending law school once I graduate. My dream is to go on to work for the United Nations as a Political Affairs Officer. I love to travel, binge read fantasy novels, and cook!