Harry Styles: Sign Of The Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

As all the One Direction boys make their names individually known, Harry Styles has internationally released his debut single, Sign Of The Times. Styles’s solo music has been highly anticipated for years. Sign Of The Times is a proper rock sounding tune. The song showcases Styles’s voice and his killer vocal range. Sign Of The Times jumped up to the number one slot on iTunes almost immediatly after it’s relaease.

Sign Of Times also shows off Harry’s songwriting abilites. Styles told BBC Radio 1 host, Nick Grimshaw, that he had recorded most of the album in Jamaica after filming the movie Dunkirk, which will come out this summer. As most of the world knows, Styles has been apart of a band since his career kicked off on the X Factor when he was 16 years old. Now the 23 year old music sensation is reinventing his career.

“I feel like I’ve been hibernating,” Styles said. “It’s time to like, give birth.” 

Harry’s friends, family, and fans have been nothing but supportive on social media. His sister, Gemma Styles, tweeted: “Just stop your crying I’m exploding with pride”. Harry’s mother, Anne Twist, posted a sweet tribute to both her children on her Instagram page. Harry’s bandmates/best friends also sang praises for him on Twitter. 

Harry’s good friend and host of the Late Late Show, James Corden shared his support for the singer on Twitter as well.

Harry filmed the music video for Sign Of The Times just days before it came out. In photos taken while he was filming in Scotland, we can see that Styles was in a harness attached to a helicopter and was swinging around in the air as he sang his song. 

I have no idea. I have no idea why I agreed to it,” Styles told SiriusXM’s The Morning Mash Up show. “I have no idea why people let me do it.”

Harry is known for being accident prone but he assured everyone that he was safe though he was up high. 

“Well, I appreciate you thinking about that,” Harry said. “I did a couple times. It was amazing. It was pretty great. It was a very ambitious shoot. I remember the first time we talked about the idea and I kind of thought it was a joke. It was pretty intense. I went pretty high.”

Styles will be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live next week, April 15th, along side Jimmy Fallon who will be hosting. Harry will be performing Sign Of The Times and another new song which will be highly anticipated. Ben Winston, executive producer of the Late Late show who is also a good friend of Harry’s and has directed several 1D videos, hinted on Twitter that Styles would be a guest on the show soon. Fingers crossed for a James and Harry Carpool Karaoke segment. 

Harry’s full length album will be coming soon. How do you like his debuet single, Sign Of The Times? Let us know what you think on Twitter @HCUAlabama 

Hi! I'm Katie Goodwin! I'm a senior at UA and I am majoring in journalism with a minor in creative writing. I'm from Hoover, AL but one day I hope to live in London, England. When I am not writing, I love to read, watch Netflix, travel, and go to One Direction concerts.
Alabama Contributor