This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s that time of the year when the Christmas tree goes up and the winter breeze makes you brrr in your heavy coat (well, maybe not so much in Alabama). During this time of the year, there is nothing better than having a girls’ night in while the holiday lights twinkle through the windows. Gather all the blankets and fuzzy Santa socks you can find, because here’s five essentials you need for a great GNI: Christmas edition.

Matching PJ’s

Not everyone enjoys matching together with their bestie, but for the Christmas spirit, you may just have to get past that. Go to your nearest Walmart or Target and get yourselves a pair of matching Grinch pants. Not only will this put you in the holiday spirit but matching with your bestie makes for a perfect IG photo!

The Perfect Movie

Whether you’re renting from Amazon Prime or streaming on Netflix, picking the perfect holiday movie makes for a cozy, fun night. Decide whether you’re putting on a Christmas romance like The Princess Switch or you’re all about watching Elf for the 30th time. Put on your matching pajamas, grab some blankets, and enjoy a cozy night in!

Gingerbread Houses

Building gingerbread houses really brings out the realization of who the artistic friend is. It can also be a fun competition! One way to level up your gingerbread competition is to post each creation on IG Stories, and let your followers vote for the one they like the most! Or, work together to build the cutest looking gingerbread house and maybe eat a few gumdrops while you’re at it. 

Cookies

Obviously, cookies have to be a part of the equation at any holiday function. Whether you make them from scratch or bake off the classic Pillsbury Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies, nothing is better than a warm cookie fresh from the oven. 

Hot Coco

Coffee is always delicious, but sometimes you want to ditch the caffeine and have a taste of chocolate. If you’re 21+, you can add peppermint vodka or Bailey’s to spice up your hot coco. Don’t forget the marshmallows and whipped cream, and if you’re feeling fancy, you can add a candy cane for an Insta-worthy hot coco!

Marissa is a current senior majoring in English with a double minor in creative writing and human development. Originally from Sacramento, California, she loves meeting new people and learning about different environments. When she's not rereading Jane Austen, she loves being a coach for little kids and petting dogs all day.