Career

Is Getting a Job in College Right for You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Since I was 16 years old, I’ve wanted a job to get out of the house, earn some money, and put something on my resume. However, I struggled to find a job since many places didn’t want to hire someone who could only work a few hours a week and couldn’t serve alcohol or work during the school day or late at night. Now, I finally have one, and despite only working four shifts, I have already learned a lot. There are pros and cons to having a job in college, and it’s important to weigh these pros and cons for yourself when deciding to get a job. 

Pro: Money

Since I got to college, I’ve had some trouble with managing how much I spend, and by the end of the month, I’m asking mommy for a few more dollars. It is nice to have a “second income” and when I’m working, I’m not spending! 

Pro: Experience

Getting a job is a lot more than having something to put on your resume; jobs teach resilience, determination and hard work. I am already developing a thick skin that will continue to help me in the future–when a TV executive yells at me in a few years, I’ll be ready. I am also developing interpersonal relationship skills, especially with people older than me. 

Pro: Networking

Even though I work at a restaurant, I’ve had opportunities to network within my major. I’m a News Media major and I’ve met older students in my same major while they’re waiting for a table, and they’ve given me some helpful advice. Another job option that is great for networking is an internship, which can open more doors in the future, as well as look great on your resume.

Con: The People 

People are just GROSS. Why am I always cleaning up spilled ranch? The amount of wasted food I see is a little disturbing. There are people starving and I’m throwing out $24 worth of pasta, it seems so elitist.  

Human Decency PSA: Please wear your mask, and if the hostess asks you to put it on, please just put it on. I understand that it is annoying to put on a mask for a 10-foot walk to the table to only take it off again. Don’t fight with me; I just work here!

Okay, I’ll dismount from my Clydesdale now. 

Con: Lost Time

When I have a shift, I have six less hours in the day to do my homework. This means that I have to study even more when I’m not working, and sometimes I miss class to make it to work on time. I’ve had shifts on Friday and Saturday nights, and it’s hard to see my friends living life without me. If anything, I know that there’s no time to waste, and I have to make the most out of every moment. 

Con: Exhaustion 

Between walking the two miles to work, standing on my feet for six hours, busing tables and then walking back, I get pretty tired. By the time I get home, I just want to go to bed, but when my roommates want to hear about my day, my social battery is empty. 

I’m not going to lie; the job search was hard. I applied to one restaurant four times and called daily to speak with a manager about getting an interview. Some places have intense applications only to never call. One restaurant made me take three personality tests and a cognitive assessment, like why? Don’t give up hope. Eventually, you’ll land an open position.

Check out www.uastudentjobs.ua.edu for on-campus positions, or even local families to babysit, tutor or dog walk for. Getting a job on campus is probably your best bet if transportation to and from work can be difficult for you. You can do it the old-fashioned way by putting on a nice outfit and going into places to ask for an application. Some places will promote that they are hiring, and the worst thing that happens is after you apply, you don’t hear back. Move on and find another place. You’ll find where you’re meant to be.

MJ Miller

Alabama '24

MJ Miller is from Los Angeles, California and is thoroughly enjoying her studies at the University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa. MJ loves spending time with her friends and making Taylor Swift playlists.
Alabama Contributor