Five Romantic Comedies & Where to Watch Them This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Picture this: it’s Galentine’s Day with your besties. You’re having dessert, wearing pajamas, and getting ready to watch a romantic comedy that will give you all the feels. If you’re looking for suggestions on what to watch to perfectly match your Galentine’s vibe, you’ve come to the right place. Here are five of my favorite rom-coms so you can find exactly what you’re looking for.

Roman Holiday (Amazon Prime, Pluto TV)

In the mood for a classic? This is the one. Starring Audrey Hepburn, this 1953 film follows the story of a princess and a commoner who fall in love in Rome. The story might sound cliché, but this movie is hilarious, even until the very end. As it was entirely shot in Rome, Roman Holiday gives the vintage Italian vibe that currently dominates my Pinterest feed. If you’re a fan of black and white movies, the classy icon that is Audrey Hepburn, and a good laugh, Roman Holiday is the movie for you.

Isn’t it Romantic (Amazon Prime)

I’m no professional critic, but this movie might be one of the funniest ever. Rebel Wilson and Liam Hemsworth, among other Hollywood stars, portray every rom-com trope while mocking them at the same time. The main character, Natalie, hates all things cliché and romantic until she gets knocked unconscious and wakes up as the female love interest in her own romantic comedy. Isn’t it Romantic is lighthearted and funny, making it perfect for a casual movie night with your friends.

Love, Simon (Hulu)

Released in 2018, Love, Simon is a rom-com featuring an LGBTQ+ relationship. This representation is incredibly important in modern media, and this film is groundbreaking just for simply existing. Beyond its cultural significance, however, it’s just a really good movie. It’s the perfect combination of funny and emotional- the quirky scenes that make you laugh are coupled with sentimental moments that are truly moving. If you’re in the mood for a movie that’s going to make you feel a whole lot, Love, Simon is a go-to.

Miss Congeniality (Amazon Prime)

If you’re looking for a little more “com” than “rom,” Miss Congeniality will be right up your alley. Sandra Bullock plays an undercover FBI agent who has to compete in the Miss United States pageant, despite her tomboy look and attitude. This movie gives me the glow-up energy of The Princess Diaries combined with the badassery of Legally Blonde and is a must-see for anyone who wants a hilarious pick-me-up.

10 Things I Hate About You (Disney+)

I couldn’t go without mentioning my favorite romantic comedy and one of my favorite movies in general. 10 Things I Hate About You needs no introduction, but I want to talk about it anyway. You’ve got Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles and an amazing cast that bring this hilarious, heart-warming movie to life. I cry every time I watch this movie, but it’s quirky in all the best ways. It follows the story of Patrick Verona who gets a bribe to go out with the villainous Kat Stratford, but as Avril Lavigne once said: “can I make it any more obvious?” 10 Things I Hate About You is a classic, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Colleen is a junior at the University of Alabama from Grand Rapids, MI. She's currently studying history and dance with minors in women's studies, classical civilizations, and the Blount Scholars program. Outside of school, Colleen loves watching period dramas, planning her future on Pinterest, and listening to Taylor Swift on repeat. Colleen is so excited to be a part of Her Campus and write about the things she loves!
Alabama Contributor