This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

One of my absolute favorite traditions during Christmastime is watching Hallmark movies with my mom. There is something indescribably comforting about the predictable plots, breezy music and cozy outfits worn by the always-put-together protagonists. Their comfortability is not without faults, however. These films invalidate the time and work women put in to succeed in corporate America, with independent and successful female protagonists often throwing away their work to live in a small town with a man they just met. As disappointing as these endings are, it is unsurprising for a network that prides itself on traditional values and family-friendly content.

While this is certainly a huge fault in their movies, the most jarring was always their lack of diversity. Hallmark very rarely put out movies starring people of color and always lacked interracial couples. They also consistently starred straight, white couples. Black women served in the “sassy best friend” trope, and gay characters were nowhere to be found. There is nothing wrong with valuing love, family and tradition, but these values must extend to us all.

Thankfully, Hallmark seems to be heading in the right direction. This year, the network has released A Christmas House, which features a gay man and his husband as he returns home for the holidays to reunite with his brother. Surprisingly–and encouragingly– the network takes it one step further and adds an adoption plotline for the couple. While it’s not a front-running love story, the inclusion in this year’s story is undeniably a huge step for the network. Furthermore, the use of a stereotypical title for the film means that regular Hallmark viewers may watch it without knowing that it features two gay men, allowing them to see that an LGBTQ+ plotline is just like any other. One can hope that the inclusion of this plotline will lead to the expansion of LGBTQ+ storylines that truly represent the world we live in today.

Along with LGBTQ+ representation, we’ll also be seeing some interracial representation this season. In a country that’s seeing an increasing number of interracial couples, it’s about time the network decided to show what many Americans’ relationships are really like. Hallmark movies have often featured POC couples in the spotlight or in secondary plotlines, but we have never seen an interracial couple in the leading role. As America–and our love stories–becomes more and more diverse, so should the movies representing us. Those used to the mold of Hallmark movies may be surprised to see an interracial couple on their screen, but love is for everyone.

What we’re seeing is progress. We’ve started the race but are nowhere near finishing it. Hallmark movies portray pure, sweet love–a love that everyone deserves. Representation is extremely important, and as we demand for media to represent every America, Hallmark should be no exception. Cookies, Christmas carols and first kisses under the mistletoe aren’t just for straight, white people.

Claire is a sophomore at the University of Alabama studying Psychology, Anthropology, and Criminal Justice. Originally from Seattle, Claire has loved experiencing life on the other side of the country and hopes to one day be a clinical psychologist. She is passionate about mental health, politics, and her cat. When she's not writing for HerCampus, you can find her kayaking, baking, or making jewelry.
Alabama Contributor