Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures
Style

Fall Trends That Need to Come Back ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s that time of year again when temperatures start to cool down and we pull out our cozy sweaters, all things plaid, and stock up on even more pairs of fuzzy socks that we don’t need. I couldn’t be more excited as fall is my favorite season to dress for and some of my favorite trends spawn from this cozy time of year. While I’m enjoying this year’s fall trends, below are several of my favorites that I’d like to revive from the past ASAP.

Neck Scarves

We need to bring back scarves this fall. Now, I’m not talking about the typical infinity scarves we were all obsessed with back in middle school. Think of a 1950s flight attendant tied neck scarf. Or, since we’re bringing back lots of early 2000s trends this year, a thin long Ashely Tisdale-style scarf would be a perfect addition to anyone’s fall 2020 wardrobe.

Socks with Heels

This might be my Cher Horowitz obsession talking, but socks with heels are one of my all-time favorite fashion looks. Besides popping up many times throughout the 90s classic Clueless, this style was also frequently worn by TV icons like Blair Waldorf and Chanel Oberlin. I will definitely be donning cute socks with my favorite heels this fall for warmth in colder weather and the adorable 90s “It Girl” look.

Large Accessories

As an avid preppy statement necklace gal back in middle school, I am so ready for this trend to come back. Aside from chunky statement jewelry, accessories like oversized sunglasses and larger tote bags can look so unique and stylish with any fall outfit.

Kitten Heels

I remember watching the High School Musical movies as an elementary schooler and loving all of Gabriella’s kitten heels. A shorter heel can look so classy and sophisticated while still being comfortable enough for everyday wear- truly the best of both worlds for a college student.

Patterned Tights

This might be my favorite fall look of all. Not only does a pair of tights keep you warm and allow you to wear an adorable dress or skirt any time of year, throwing on a cute pair can make you look so effortlessly chic. Especially layered under a solid color outfit, a unique pair of patterned tights can add a sophisticated edge.

Whether or not you agree we should bring back these trends this season, I challenge you to think outside of the box and be bold with your fall wardrobe.

Caroline Steinfeld is currently a junior at the University of Alabama majoring in Fashion Retailing and minoring in General Business. She is very family-oriented and loves creative writing, going to restaurants with friends, and all things fashion. She is constantly inspired by fashion magazines, iconic 90s movies, and the women around her on campus.
Alabama Contributor