Everything We know About the Queen Charlotte Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Dear Reader,

Word has spread across the ton of the newest installment in the Bridgerton universe. While season three of Bridgerton is currently in production, a new spinoff is set to hold us over until we can see Colin and Penelope’s story unfold. Passionate, nosy, and witty, it seems our iconic Queen Charlotte will be getting a series of her own. Here is everything we know about Queen Charlotte so far. 

Queen Charlotte is set to follow the young title character years before Daphne became the queen’s diamond and even before Charlotte herself was crowned. We will get to see her as she is begrudgingly betrothed to King George of England in addition to the romance that follows. Fans will remember him from Bridgerton as the sick king stuck in the past. He is rarely lucid and, when he is, he asks for his daughter, Amelia, who passed as a child, breaking Charlotte’s heart and allowing the audience to see the origins of her hardened resolve. Prepare to be fascinated by the portrayal of Charlotte and George before this tragedy strikes the royal household.

The eight-episode show will follow the couple through the beginning of their marriage and the changes their marriage has made for the ton. As mentioned in Bridgerton by fan favorite, Lady Danbury, Charlotte’s marriage to the King of England allowed non-white elites to join the ton, permanently altering its dynamic. Seeing this crucial shift will no doubt provide viewers with a unique lens to watch the upcoming Bridgerton season through.

At Netflix’s TUDUM event on September 24, Bridgerton fans were teased with a mini trailer, giving us our first glimpse of the new series. In it, Charlotte is desperately attempting to climb over a garden wall when a man steps up behind her, curious to her whereabouts. She explains that she fleeing out of fear that her husband-to-be is a beast or a troll. When the man inquires if she cares not for beasts or trolls, she says, in true Charlotte fashion, that she doesn’t care what he looks like. It is, rather, not knowing what he looks like (or his character) that bothers her. She promptly asks him to hoist her over the garden wall. He says he will not help someone run away from marrying him. Charlotte turns, realizing that the man she’s attempting is standing before her.

The title character will be played by India Amarteifio, whose credits include Sex Education and Doctor Who. Alongside Amarteifio, playing as her dashing husband, will be Corey Mylchreest, most recognized for his his recent appear in in The Sandman. We will also get to see young Lady Bridgerton, the fearless mother of the eight Bridgerton children, and a young Lady Danbury, a feisty woman with a heart of gold. Fans will be ecstatic to see how these figureheads of the ton came to be the powerful women they are in our beloved series, Bridgerton.

As for the teaser trailer, Shonda Rimes, producer of the series, did not disappoint with our couples’ meet cute, though, as always, it leaves the viewers with many questions. Will Charlotte and George form an alliance while betrothed to put on an act for the ton, or will they follow Anthony and Kate’s enemies to lover’s arc of hatred slowly morphing into love? We will have to wait until the series’ release to find out.

The only thing this author is certain of is that she will have the newest Bridgerton installment queued up on its release date with popcorn in hand. Queen Charlotte is set to release in Spring 2023, just in time for a new social season to begin.

Olivia Womack

Alabama '25

Olivia is a sophomore at the University of Alabama double majoring in English and History. She enjoys writing, reading historical fiction, and obsessively listening to musicals.