From “drivers license” to “deja vu”: What’s Next for Olivia Rodrigo?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Olivia Rodrigo took the world by storm in January when she released her first single “drivers license,” which is supposedly about the love triangle involving her, co-star Joshua Bassett and his new girlfriend Sabrina Carpenter. With help from the Disney Channel-esque drama, the song has made history as it broke the record as the fastest solo song to surpass 600 million streams on Spotify, is the new longest-running number one hit on the Billboard global chart, and is the first debut single in history to spend its first eight weeks on the Hot 100 at number one. With the immediate success behind her first single, Olivia had a lot to prove that she wasn’t a one-hit wonder, and her new song “deja vu” proves just that.

Released on April 1, “deja vu” has already surpassed over 19 million streams on Spotify within its first week. Olivia’s lyrics depict qualities about a past relationship, which is speculated to be hers and Joshua’s. While fans have done some deep digging to prove that the narrative in her song follows her past with her co-star, she’s stated herself that some of the specific lyrics in “deja vu” are not references to reality. Whether or not the song is about the drama we all seem to love, it is nevertheless just as catchy and addicting as her debut single.

Although her second single is lyrically and melodically different from her first, it will definitely be on all your summer playlists. Not only will it be fun screaming “deja vu” in the car with your friends and the windows down, but there’s more where that came from.

Mark your calendars because Olivia is set to release her 11-track debut album on May 21 this year. With the overarching success of her first two singles, the original songs she’s kept on her Instagram feed after deleting a majority of her posts, and her being Taylor Swift approved, I have no idea what to expect from her first album, but I’m excited because she’s proved it’s going to be great.

If you’re tired of hearing about Olivia Rodrigo, I have bad news for you: this is only the beginning. Having already made a name for herself from her Disney shows Bizaardvark and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series as well as her already being positively compared to artists like Lorde and Taylor Swift, Olivia is bound for success. If you’re not a fan yet, I suggest becoming one now because in a few months, I guarantee Olivia Rodrigo will be a household name and you’re not going to want to miss out.

You can stream her new song here and pre-save her debut album here.

Hailey is a junior studying public relations with a concentration in sports & entertainment communication management at the University of Alabama. When she's not busy with school, she loves working media for her school's athletic teams, traveling, going to concerts and obsessing over her future.
Alabama Contributor