Diane von Furstenberg.
Diane von Furstenberg.
Photo by Jesse Frohman

Diane Von Furstenberg’s Secret to Owning It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I have seriously never left a Zoom call more empowered than after the Diane von Furstenberg press conference last week. In case you don’t know who she is, Diane von Furstenberg is a highly-influential Belgian fashion designer that rose to prominence in the 1970s and is well-known for designing feminine styles that are meant to empower the women wearing them. And, even if you don’t know who I’m talking about, you’ve most likely worn her most famous design: the wrap dress. I have always been a DVF fan, so I was so excited when I found out that I had the opportunity to attend her press conference for her new book titled “Own It: The Secret to Life.” Furstenberg has written a myriad of great books throughout her career; however, Own It is special because it’s an A-to-Z guide written to inspire the reader to take charge of her own life and turn her vulnerability into power. The book is so inspiring that it would be easy to read it all at once, but Furstenberg recommends you leave it by your bed and every morning flip to a random page for a quick dose of empowerment. I could go on all day about how amazing DVF is and how inspiring the press conference was, but below are a couple of my favorite moments from the event.

When asked what inspired her to write another book, Furstenberg shared an anecdote from her childhood. She recalled that growing up she didn’t know what she wanted to do with her life, but now when people ask, she says, “I knew the kind of woman I wanted to be. I wanted to be a woman in charge.” A major topic in both the book and the press conference, Furstenberg explained that when we decide to be “women in charge” we are making a commitment to ourselves and owning who we are and what makes us unique. “Own It” is a foolproof guide to putting this energy into action and becoming a “woman in charge’ in your own life.

As a philanthropist, author, famed fashion designer, Diane von Furstenberg wears many hats. So, when asked how she stays motivated, she explained that she usually has a lot of energy and stays very motivated; however, on her bad days she looks in the mirror and says: “If you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt.” I absolutely love this phrase and will definitely try this technique next time I need a little confidence-boosting pep talk!

“Own It: The Secret to Life” is available for purchase right now at any of your favorite bookstores as well as at dvf.com. If you were as inspired as I was just by hearing those two moments, you will love this book. Happy reading!

Caroline Steinfeld is currently a junior at the University of Alabama majoring in Fashion Retailing and minoring in General Business. She is very family-oriented and loves creative writing, going to restaurants with friends, and all things fashion. She is constantly inspired by fashion magazines, iconic 90s movies, and the women around her on campus.
Alabama Contributor