This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

No, sorry, I am not going to give you a bunch of dating tips. I cannot tell you how to build the perfect man or woman in 30 days —– I wish. This is just going to be a huge scenario on why dating and relationships typically fail within our age group. If you have found the love of your life you, my friend, are blessed ( no seriously).

Around 14, we are hit with the “puppy love”, typically this is 9th grade year. Normally, this is the year that you have that huge crush on a “famous senior”.  It is ok, we have all been here and I believe that this is the start of dating in our generation. Now, again, if you were lucky to stay with your high school sweetheart, disregard this entire article. The is the time of all the drama, not to be biased, but this is from a girl’s standpoint. High school love drama, which is drama involving: you, your boyfriend, and three other girls. It is like at this point, we program ourselves to compete. I know for me, at this point in life I assumed, that dating meant fighting with other girls over what is yours. Guys have to uphold the tough guy act and remain “the man”. In some cases, girls experience their first heartbreaks in high school. We think it is the end of the world until a whole new world is revealed when we enter our adult life.

As a soon to be 22 year old, I have come to the conclusion that dating is a cycle. You meet a guy via Facebook, Tinder, Bumble, or even in person and the same thing happens. You guys exchange numbers, you try to get them to agree to meet in a public place, and they slowly fall off. Why is this? We all know the answer, it is 2018. The Netflix and chill era has turned into just chilling. Can we bring old school dating back? You know, the old school dating, the kind when a guy asks a girl to the movies. The kind where he shows up at her front step with flowers. The kind where he opens every door and is satisfied with a kiss on the cheek, goodnight. I wish we could break the cycle. I believe that the cycle will not be broken if the response from the majority of people is “ I am having fun”. Yes, having fun is good, but have fun and make sure you respect the other person. When I say respect the other person, I mean allow all intentions to be known from the beginning, so that you can prevent the investment of feelings.  

I know as girls, we are often told that we have to let guys grow up. How is it that we allow the guys to have a long growing up period and girls are expected to have it together, quick. This dating thing is really something I have yet to figure out. I do not have the answers for it, but one day, it is something we will all master.

My name is Aundralesha Wordlow and I am a junior at the University of Alabama. I am from Anniston, Alabama which is about 45 minutes north of Birmingham. I am the daughter of Felecia Bradford and Adrew Wordlow. I have two older brothers, who are both married. I have two nephews that I truly adore. I am a very friendly and outgoing person and I love meeting new people.