This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

On Friday, March 13 of 2020, I was ecstatic when my high school principal announced that school would be canceled for the next month. The latter half of senior year was getting the best of me, and I needed a break. Little did I know that that would be the last time I stepped foot into the halls of the school I had been at since sixth grade without saying goodbye to everything I knew.  

Looking back, a lot has changed between March 2020 and now. At this time last year, I had no idea of the severity of the Coronavirus, nor did I take the virus seriously. While I did quarantine for what felt like forever, I had fun drinking whipped coffee, taking backyard mirror selfies, and binge-watching TV during my “Coronacation.” I also attended my first (of many) Zooms for my best friend’s fish’s funeral, made tons of friendship bracelets, and group-Facetiming people became a hobby of mine. Despite all of this being fun, the Coronacation eventually became the vacation that would not stop. 

On March 17, we found out it would be unlikely for students to return to school for the rest of the year. As a senior who waited seven years for all the fun senior-related festivities, I was heartbroken. I had no closure for an important chapter of my life, and at the same time, I was also forced to grow up. By March 26, barely a week after I found out my senior year was officially over, I committed to the University of Alabama without having seen it in real life. Since then, nothing has been the same. 

I am grateful for my Bama experience so far, despite not having the freshman year I imagined. Over the past year, I have lost a lot, but what I’ve gained has become more important. Thinking about last March, let alone everything else I’ve been through since then, overwhelms me. Still, I am grateful for the things the Coronavirus pandemic has taught me: I have learned to be adaptable, patient, and understanding. I’ve become more appreciative of the people around me and our time together. With all of the bad in the world, I’ve learned to bask in the good.

With that being said, 2021 has turned a new leaf. In January, Joe Biden was inaugurated, which lifted a weight off millions of peoples’ shoulders. JoJo Siwa also came out, making her a gay icon for the younger generation to look up to. In February, I unfortunately contracted Coronavirus, BUT Taylor Swift announced we would be getting Fearless (Taylor’s Version), so that made up for it. Now, we have reached March yet again. It’s been a hell of a year, but I’m hopeful positive changes will happen soon.

If you’re like me and afraid to go back to “normal” life, it’s okay. This year has thrown so many things at us, the good and bad, the losses and gains, and it’s okay to be wary and concerned about what’s yet to come. However, with vaccines going out and businesses and schools projected to return to pre-Covid operations, things are looking up. Just remember to wear your mask, wash your hands, appreciate the little things, and don’t lose hope. While the grass is always greener on the other side, life could always be worse. Here’s to the rest of the year and endless possibilities. 

Hailey is a junior studying public relations with a concentration in sports & entertainment communication management at the University of Alabama. When she's not busy with school, she loves working media for her school's athletic teams, traveling, going to concerts and obsessing over her future.
Alabama Contributor