Coachella 2022: Highlights From Weekend 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

From Vanessa Hudgens’ unbeatable festival get-up to Beyoncé’s 2018 headlining performance, Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is arguably one of the most iconic music festivals of all time. With 2019’s festival unexpectedly being Coachella’s last until this year, weekend one gave everything and more. Here are some of my favorite highlights from the first half of Coachella. 

Harry styles’ headlining performance

Two words: Shania Twain. Though Harry Styles is hard to ignore when he’s dressed head to toe in a fabulous custom Gucci jumpsuit, all eyes drifted from him when he brought Shania Twain on stage as a special guest. They performed “Man! I Feel Like a Woman,” which has been a part of Styles’ pre-show setlist for years and “Still the One,” his mother’s favorite song, which he also once performed with Kacey Musgraves. His duets with Shania made for a great close to night one. 

“I’m sorry i’m not beyoncé!”

When Billie Eilish took the stage, she questioned her place in the lineup as she is the youngest artist in history to headline Coachella. While she may not believe she’s a pop powerhouse like Beyoncé (and let’s face it, who can compete with Beyoncé?), she delivered a historic and electrifying performance and deserved to be there. Still, despite her imposter syndrome, she expressed her gratitude to be there, making us love her even more.  

Doja cat brings back taco bell’s mexican pizza

Recent Grammy winner Doja Cat had an exciting performance on the main stage Sunday night. With special guests Tyga and Rico Nasty joining her for her hits “Juicy” and “Tia Tamera” respectively, her performance was nothing short of exciting. Still, one of the most memorable moments was her announcement that she is partnering with Taco Bell to put a beloved item back on the menu. To thank Doja Cat for doing the world a favor, head to Taco Bell on May 19 to purchase your own Mexican Pizza.  

Danny elfman’s set

When I saw that Danny Elfman was playing Coachella, I was a bit confused considering I’m only familiar with him as the composer for Tim Burton movies. However, he did not disappoint. Being one of the oldest performers at 68, Elfman still managed to put on a crowd-pleasing performance with hits like “This Is Halloween” from The Nightmare Before Christmas and title themes from Spider-Man, The Simpsons, Alice in Wonderland and Edward Scissorhands. Though it wasn’t a typical Coachella performance, it was unique to say the least and we’re excited to see what he has up his sleeve for weekend two. 

Though Coachella weekend one is in the books, there’s still more to look forward to during weekend two and even more during the rest of festival season. 

Hailey is a junior studying public relations with a concentration in sports & entertainment communication management at the University of Alabama. When she's not busy with school, she loves working media for her school's athletic teams, traveling, going to concerts and obsessing over her future.