Campus Celebrity: Savannah Reach, Dancer & Chemist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Savannah Reach is a senior from the very much local Tuscaloosa, AL studying Organic Chemistry and Dance. If you do not know Savannah now, you definitely should. Reach has and continues to highly excel in the sciences and arts, a combination which is not found so often and sometimes deemed as impossible. However, Savannah is a symbol of inspiration through her hard work, grace, and success at The University of Alabama. 

Hometown: Tuscaloosa, AL

Class Year: senior 

Majors: Organic Chemistry, BCH Honors Chemistry, Dance

Q: What is your favorite thing about UA? 

A: “When I stand at barre on the third floor of Clark Hall, I can feel the sun shine as I progress from pliés to grand battements.  After ballet class, I walk to Starbucks to enjoy a grande vanilla flat white.  As I sip my coffee, I stroll by the million-dollar fountain outside of Shelby Hall and up to my office.  I finish my coffee, put on my safety goggles, and head into my research lab… And “these are a few of my favorite things.” 

Q: How long have you been a dancer? 

A: “I have been dancing for nineteen years.”

Q: How do you balance such an active schedule of Chemistry and Dance?

A: “At the beginning of the semester, I am always overwhelmed by my schedule.  It usually takes about a month to get everything worked out. I stay very organized and I never wait until the last minute.  In an average week, I spend about 12 hours in class, 30 hours studying, 3 hours teaching chemistry, 3 hours teaching dance, and 15 hours in the research lab.  Even though my schedule seems crazy at times, I still find time to stay involved with my friends and spend time with my family.  I love taking a break from studying to grab a Starbucks coffee or take a stroll around the quad. I never want a part of my day to go unused.”

Q: If you were a chemical element, which would you be and why?

A: “My dad says if I were a chemical element I would be hydrogen because I am the bomb.com.”

Q: What advice do you have for other STEM girls who have interests in the Arts?

A: “Do not give up on your interests or dreams in the Arts because there is a way to incorporate both and still excel in STEM! I believe there is a fundamental reason why the arts and sciences are in the same college.  I know I would not be as successful in chemistry without dance and vice versa because creativity and imagination are involved in both. 

Since dancers are a collection of organic molecules, the only difference between my dance choreography and my chemistry research is the size of the molecules.  Both dance and chemistry focus on complex motions and the manipulation of shapes – dance on the macroscopic level and chemistry on the microscopic level.  Chemistry is simply a molecular dance.  It took me several years to realize my passions are not divided; they are one.”

Q: What are your inspirations and goals in life?

A: “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I hope to not have one single bit of talent left.  I want to say, “I used everything You gave me.””

Q: What is the next move in your career so far?

A: “This year, I am finishing my Masters Degree in Organic Chemistry with Dr. Silas Blackstock.  My next move is to pursue an MFA degree in dance to continue exploring and developing my interest in combining the arts and sciences while maintaining a strong technical foundation.”

Alisha is a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in Communicative Disorders and minoring in Psychology. She is the current Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Alabama. Alisha loves binge watching TV shows on Netflix, baking, writing, watching/raving about Alabama Football, and spending time with her sorority sisters. She hopes to make a difference in the world or at least in many people's lives as a hopeful Speech-Language Pathologist. Follow Alisha on Twitter (@missalisha14) and Instagram (alishaa_j). Roll Tide!