Campus Celebrity: Barry Grass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Barry Grass, a graduate student in the Creative Writing MFA program, is also a teacher, theatre kid and barbeque enthusiast. Oh, and he’s also writing a book on beer, after he gets back from researching it in Belgium.

Grass says writing non-fiction is how he documents what he loves, explores what he’s interested in, and even works through things he is confused, or troubled by. And he said he’s found quite the community at the University of Alabama, which has enabled him to do exactly that.

“You know, I visited before deciding to enroll, [at UA] before I was accepted into the program. And the community was a big part, I just felt like the people here were nice, smart and engaging,” Grass says. “I like the way the writing community here is really supportive. Everything seems really tight and integrated on a lot of levels.”

The community is so supportive, in fact, they’re the ones sending him to Belgium. Brian Oliu, another campus celebrity (and Grass’ roommate), started an Indiegogo for Grass’ trip to Belgium. All without letting him know. Grass says Oliu blocked the link so he could never see it. Family, friends, the Tuscaloosa writing community all pitched in a few bucks, which eventually turned into flight money to and from Belgium.

When asked why Oliu decided to start the drive, he says simply, “Barry is one of the most generous people I know—with his time, his knowledge, and his beer. To him, beer is about the experience of sharing with others. It only made sense to have everyone ‘raise a glass’, if you will, to him, and get him over to Belgium where he can continue his research.”

“You know usually I’m pretty good at knowing when something was up, but no one spilled the beans… so its pretty much the most generous thing that anyone has ever done for me,” Grass says. “I was just blown away. That’s a perfect example of what I meant by the community down here. I hope to be able to pay back that karma to other people in the future.”

The reason he’s going to Belgium is that’s where the specific beer he’s researching comes from. It’s his favorite style: “saison,” French for season. He says it is also known as farmhouse ale and is a historical style for Belgium.

“It’s increasingly popular in the United States,” Grass says. “And, I don’t know why, and that’s why I’m writing the book.” 

As far as teaching goes, Grass said it is something he always felt he would try—and love.

“I try to be funny in my classes,” he says. “I try to make learning composition as humorous and intellectually engaging as I can. You know it doesn’t always go over, not every day as a teacher is a success. But that’s part of the challenge.” He says the reward in teaching is when you see the “light bulb” go off for your students.

“It’s really rewarding to see students grow,” he says. “And trust their own capabilities as writers and thinkers.” While he continues to write non-fiction about what he loves, he said he plans to continue to teach.

“I would like to teach at the University level if I can for my career,” Grass says. “I hesitate to say I’m good at it, but I’m getting better, and I hope to be good someday. I think it would be a career I could feel good about.”

Alabama Contributor