Call Me Queen: Aida2Fari

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article was written by Deanne Winslett, and edited by Katherine Owen.

Sitting in her University-provided office in the Ferguson center, Aida2Fari President and Founder, Kyerra Dexter, is surrounded by an elaborate system of sticky notes and stacks of Aida and Fari registration forms.  She has a to-do list a mile high, including balancing her internship and her senior year classes, along with her job. But to Dexter, the organization that she started gets first priority.

When Dexter started Aida2Fari she had her younger sister in mind. Her sister, she said, was (at the time) posting content on social media that to Dexter seemed questionable for a young woman. Dexter said that she looked at the way that her little sister was projecting herself and decided that she wanted better for her. Not only did she see an opportunity to help her little sister, but to help other high school girls as well when she developed the concept of the Aida2Fari mentorship program.

“I started this group because I feel that as college students, we have experienced situations that we can use as a vessel to teach younger girls to make the right decisions,” Dexter said. “I personally feel that if I was a part of something like Aida to Fari when I was younger, I wouldn’t have went through some of the issues I faced growing up.”

Dexter made her vision into reality last year when she formally created Aida2Fari. The group is a female mentoring program, connecting college-age girls with high school girls in hopes of providing guidance and establishing a positive self-image.

“The mission of this mentorship program is to promote self-love, higher education, awareness to various issues facing young women today and to provide a positive role model for each participant,” Dexter said.

Aida (ah-ee-dah) comes from the Ethiopian name for princess and Fari (FAH-ree) comes from the Wolof language of West Africa meaning Queen. The girls, ranging from elementary school to high school, will begin as Aidas but throughout the mentorship program they evolve into Faris at the end of the year Fari exhibition. The Fari exhibition is a celebration of the Aidas accomplishments throughout the program and their formal debut as Faris. After graduating to Faris the girls can then return as mentors themselves.

The program has only had two officials meetings so far this year, but they have already received over 30 applications. Dexter said that for manageability purposes she will have to stop after 40 accepted applicants.

In their Aida meetings, the Aidas and Faris meet for 2-3 hours. They begin with an opening statement or a social moment and then they divide into smaller groups based on their interest. They can divide into groups ranging from anything from dance to poetry. It is designed to allow the girls to get involved in the things they like and explore their interests while simultaneously interacting with their mentors.

“I have not been able to attend any of their meetings on campus but I did interact with the Faris when they came to open house with the students and their parents,” said Bryant High School social worker, Angela Jones. “The girls were very enthusiastic and excited about the being mentors and had tons of great ideas to get to know each girl and all of their activities seem wonderful.”

With the positive reviews from students who have attended the meetings, Jones said she can’t wait to see the mentorships firsthand.

A large number of the Aidas are students at Bryant High School, and Jones said that she has already seen positive results amongst the current Aidas. She said that she loves the message that the program sends to these young high school girls.

“I think the organization is wonderful.  I love that they are passionate about self-image and changing the ideas and thoughts of young girls on what is beautiful,” Jones said. “Teen girls struggle so much with looks and their identity that it is important to have strong positive role models showing that it is okay to be different and your different is beautiful.”

Aida2Fari has seen a great turnout this year but Dexter said that she hopes to see the organization continue to grow. She said that she would like to see the program expand in its racial diversity, and also be able to accept more applicants for mentorship. Jones said that she doesn’t think Dexter will have any problems in expanding the program.

“The response from our students was awesome and I think Kyerra will have her hands full on developing this program further and I think she knows that she has developed such a wonderful organization and is anticipating the growth and moving forward,” Jones said.

Current Fari and acting Aida2Fari Vice President, Ashley Wade said that the Faris reflect these views. She said that she thinks the organization stands for something that future Aidas will definitely want to be a part of.

“I think our organization is a great way to help the girls see that there is more after high school. They are beautiful, strong, and smart in their own ways and we help to hope them realize that,” Wade said. “All young ladies should have a strong positive role model in their life to set the example and that is what myself and other Faris strive to be.”

Alabama Contributor