This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

My favorite thing about fashion and style is that everyone is unique. Every single outfit is an expression of who someone is, what they’re feeling, or what they’re interested in. Clothing is one of the most expressive creative outlets in the world, but it can be easy to get caught up in microtrends or feel like you need to dress a certain way to “fit in.” I know I felt that way when I came to Tuscaloosa; I ended up buying a lot of clothes that weren’t my style because I was scared of looking too different. But I eventually realized that there was no point in trying to tamper my creativity and personality to fit a mold that was not made for me. So, I decided to start dressing however I wanted, even if it wasn’t “the style.” Because the thing is, style is whatever you make it, whatever you feel beautiful in.

Developing your style from just basics can be difficult. You really have to think about what clothes you wear the most, what’s the best investment for your closet’s future, and how you feel in the clothes you want to wear as opposed to the clothes you feel like you should wear. A lot of the time, you can find a few stores that carry clothes in a style that resonates with you and consistently shop there. But the most important part of shopping for your style is picking out pieces you feel will last a long time, not just things that are trendy right now. We’ll go over some styles and corresponding stores that can get you started on the right track, and how to craft your style over time so you feel the most like yourself.

If you gravitate more towards a tailored, European look, check out Zara, H&M, or Pull&Bear. These are two of my favorite stores that have a great balance of neutrals and colors, basics and statement pieces, and super cute matching sets.

If bright colors and in-style pieces make your heart melt, Verge Girl and Peppermayo will make your day. Both companies focus on making colorful, stylish clothes that are on-trend but still timeless.

If you’re a girly girl through and through, try Princess Polly for fun patterns and cute tops, and Hello Molly for the most perfect dresses.

If you like comfy, cute clothes that make you feel confident, look at Aerie (whose national brand is centered on body positivity) and CottonOn. And if you’re into the never-ending summer look, PacSun has the perfect clothes for you.

If you’re into athleisure that will transform your wardrobe, check out Set Active and Fabletics. They have the cutest sets that can be worn to the gym, the grocery store, or even a dinner out. To dress down an athleisure look, keep it simple with some sneakers, tube socks, and a hat. To dress it up, add some strappy heels, a cute top, and a classy bag with some matching accessories and a brush of eyeshadow. 

I can rattle off a million different stores for every kind of style out there, but the point is this: find whatever style speaks to you the most, whatever clothes make you feel the most authentically you, and fill your closet with them. If you have a combination of multiple different styles, shop for all of them! A style is not a rule, it’s a guideline. And when you’re out in the world, shopping ‘till you drop, remember to buy clothes that fit your body, not clothes that you want to change your body to fit into. Your clothes are meant to compliment you and everything about you that’s beautiful. So go out there and build your closet for the person you want to be, and then become her.

Megan Johnson

Alabama '24

Megan is a writer for the Alabama chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior at the University of Alabama and currently double majoring in English and Creative Advertising. In her free time, she enjoys reading, art, shopping, and being with friends. She has a passion for social justice and loves to give advice, watch movies that make her cry, and FaceTime her sister just to see her cats.