Bailey Clem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Bailey Clem

Hometown: Spartanburg, SC

Major: Multiple Abilities Program

Relationship status: “I’m currently dating my best friend, so that’s pretty cool.”

Favorite movie: Beauty and the Beast

Favorite place to study on campus: McClure library

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Depalma’s or Los Tarascos

What clubs are you involved in? “I’m a College of Education Ambassador and I’m in Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity and Alpha Psi Omega Theatre Honors Society.”

What is your favorite part about your major? “MAP does something no other program does. It allows us to earn four certificates for Elementary and Special Education, ranging in ages from birth to sixth grade. MAP was the original program like this in the county, and I am honored to be a part of it.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “Dr. Parker’s Child Development Psychology. He is a fantastic professor that truly cares for his students, and does his best to get to know them on an individual level. His class is also very interesting and unique. We got to raise virtual children, which was cool, but also scary – I was worried I would mess my child up!”

If your life were an ice cream flavor what would it be? “Neapolitan – you get a little bit of everything in one container. It often finds its way into social gatherings, its familiar, but multi-faceted at the same time. Most everyone can find some part of it that they enjoy.”

Who is your celebrity crush? “Nick Jonas forever and always, but Matthew Gray Gubler.”

Describe yourself in three words: Ambitious, compassionate, driven.

What do you like to do in your free time? “I’ll let you know when I figure out what free time is, but once upon a time I loved to read, or just be around people. I don’t do being alone well.”

What do you think is your best quality? “According to the person I asked because I hate answering questions about myself, it is determination in everything I do. It fuels every aspect of my life, from school and extra-curricular activities to my future career.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “Teaching at diverse school with at-risk students while working on my Master’s Degree in either Guidance Counseling or Educational Psychology. Spelunking around, seeing everything there is to see, doing everything there is to do.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.