5 Unique Photoshoot Locations in Tuscaloosa to Up Your Insta Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I’ve never been a huge Instagram fan (or really a fan of taking pictures in general) until this year, when my best friend and I decided to document some of our favorite outfits and explore Tuscaloosa by finding the picturesque but often unknown parts of the city. After several fun weekends of finding new and cool photoshoot locations, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorites below for you and your friends to use next time you need a little inspiration.

The Gorgas Steps

Everyone takes pictures in front of Denny Chimes and the President’s Mansion, but the steps of the Amelia Gayle Gorgas library are often overlooked. Aside from the steps, the large columns that line the front of the library will also give your photos a grand, palatial feel. This is an especially good location if you are taking more professional pictures and headshots.

Woods Quad

If you are dying to take a fun road trip down to New Orleans but can’t leave campus, then Woods Quad is where you need to be. Not only is the center courtyard beautiful and filled with many benches and unique statues, but the halls that surround it (i.e., Woods Hall, Garland Hall, Clark Hall) are lined with balconies with intricate cast iron railings that look like they’re straight out of the Big Easy.

The Government Plaza

Nestled behind Moe’s Original BBQ and World of Beer, the Government Plaza is a small, yet beautiful park in downtown Tuscaloosa. I love this location for a photoshoot because there are several different landmarks within the plaza that you can take pictures in front of. For example, there is a large gazebo in the center, lots of greenery and sidewalks, and if you go on a warmer day, the fountain on the west side of the plaza is often on.

Hotel Indigo Rooftop

This location is a great one if you’re in the mood for your photos to have more of a city vibe. The restaurant on the rooftop of Hotel Indigo is called “The Lookout,” and it has a huge outdoor seating area filled with pretty chairs, plants, string lights strung overhead, and several small fire pits. This is a great spot to get dressed up with your besties, get a yummy meal, and snap a couple of cute photos for Instagram.

The Guilds Woods Neighborhood

The Guilds Woods neighborhood is probably one of the lesser-known locations on this list, but in my opinion, one of the best. It’s also a great place to walk when the weather is nice! The neighborhood is located off of Jack Warner Parkway, sort of across from Another Broken Egg. Me and my best friend went in October when the leaves had just started changing and the sun was going down, and the pictures turned out AMAZING. It’s a great spot if you want your photos to have more of a natural feel rather than a city vibe, and one of the perks is that there’s usually not that many cars or people around. 

I hope this list helps you the next time you have a super cute outfit that you want to show off, need professional headshots, or even if you and your friends are just bored one day and feel like exploring!

Caroline Steinfeld is currently a junior at the University of Alabama majoring in Fashion Retailing and minoring in General Business. She is very family-oriented and loves creative writing, going to restaurants with friends, and all things fashion. She is constantly inspired by fashion magazines, iconic 90s movies, and the women around her on campus.
Alabama Contributor