5 Things I Learned from Going to Disney World in a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Disney World is known as “the most magical place on earth,” and that statement is indeed 100% true. I went to Disney World a lot growing up, and it feels like home in a sense. Before the spring semester started, I had the opportunity to take a trip to my happy place with one of my best friends and our moms. We both had watched so many videos prepping for what to expect and what would be different, but we never truly knew what to expect until we got there. We took all the necessary safety precautions and were able to experience some true Disney magic! Here’s some tips to safely enjoy a trip to Disney.

Mobile ordering will be your best friend.

Before the pandemic, mobile ordering food was more of a hidden gem. Most just chose to wait in the normal lines, but that’s different now. Make sure you mobile order your food about an hour earlier than you want to eat it, since everyone in the park has to use mobile order and the time slots can fill up quickly.

The lines for rides move faster than they seem.

Due to social distancing guidelines, every party must be six feet apart. This leads to the lines looking far much longer than they actually are due to how spread out everyone is. Even if you hop into the Frozen Ever After line in the China Pavilion, don’t fret because lines are constantly moving, and you will make it into Arendelle in no time.

Keep an eye out for cavalcades in the parks.

Even though there are no official parades, fireworks or shows, cavalcades are popping up in every park. The cavalcades, which are mini parades, happen sporadically so no major crowds can form, but you can see many of your favorite characters. I kept my ears open in Magic Kingdom and saw my favorite cavalcade about seven times!

Wearing a mask for multiple hours isn’t unbearable.

It is mandatory for anyone age 2+ to wear a mask around Disney World. While in the summer it may become more uncomfortable, there are relaxation stations where you can take your mask off to breathe. If you need a break from the mask, get a snack or drink, find a table to sit at and take a minute to soak in everything.

You can still have the most magical trip even during a pandemic.

It may not be the vacation you always thought you would have, but it will be one to remember. With less crowds, unique experiences, and more chances to ride rides, it can turn out to be much better than you expect.

Amanda Zimmerman is a senior studying Accounting at The University of Alabama. A few things she enjoys immensely are Disney, dance, traveling, Dancing With the Stars and Orangetheory Fitness!
Alabama Contributor