This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Many people have goblins, ghouls and ghosts on their minds in the end of October. Here are a few perfectly named places that remind visitors of Halloween year-round!

Mummy Mountain, Arizona

Mummy Mountain is the perfect place for a Halloween hike! It was originally named Horseshoe Mountain, but in 1940 Charles Mieg purchased the land and took it upon himself to give it a rebrand. He thought “Mummy Mountain” was more marketable and the mountain does resemble the shape of a mummy!

Pumpkin Center, Louisiana

When you really love Halloween, sometimes a pumpkin patch just doesn’t cut it. Instead, try an entire city named after pumpkins! Pumpkin Center’s name originated many years ago when a local basketball team heard a comedy special on the radio entitled, “Tale of Pun’kin Centre.” They loved it so much that they decided to name their team the “Pumpkin Center.” As time went on, people began to refer to the city as “Pumpkin Center,” and eventually it caught on!

Satan’s Kingdom, Massachusetts

Although everyone has different ideas of where Satan’s Kingdom is, it is not as far away as one might think. In fact, it is only a couple of miles from the Vermont Massachusetts border! The area got its memorable name from an untimely forest fire. During church one day, a sermon was given about the fires of Hell. As someone was leaving church (with Hell fire on the brain), he saw a forest burning! Apparently, despite its slightly uninviting name, it is a beautiful, forested area with amazing hikes!

Goblin Valley, Utah

Goblin Valley is a unique, scenic state park in Utah. The name, “goblin” does not actually refer to creepy green dudes, but instead, sandstone rock formations, more commonly called hoodoos. Although Goblin Valley does not seem to be very spooky, it is still a beautiful place to visit in the fall, nonetheless.

Bloody Island, Illinois

Bloody Island isn’t actually an island, it is a sandbar (I suppose Bloody Sandbar doesn’t have the same ring to it). Because the area was woodsy and its location was under neither Illinois or Missouri’s control, Bloody Island was a legally ambiguous area, so many men took it upon themselves to duel each other there in the early and mid-1800s. There’s a decent record of the various duels that occurred there. One particularly notable duel began when one man insulted another by calling him a “little puppy.”

Zoe Bennett

Alabama '23

Zoe is from Portland, Oregon, studying Environmental Engineering at the University of Alabama!
Alabama Contributor