Culture > News

5 Female Athletes to Watch at the Winter Olympics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Considering that the Winter Olympics have only just begun and there are athletes from all over the world competing in several sports, it can be confusing to figure out who to root for and when to watch each competition. With a lot of these events occurring during V-Day weekend, what better way to spend Galentine’s than with your girls rooting for these five fierce female athletes?

Cassie Sharpe

Representing Team Canada, Cassie Sharpe will be competing in the Women’s Freeski Big Air event, trying to secure a gold medal for the second time. Coming from a family of athletes—her brother Darcy Sharpe will compete in the men’s snowboarding events—we hope to see them both take medals home to Canada. Women’s Freeski Big Air qualifications can be viewed on USA Network on February 7th at 7:30 pm CST. 

Chloe Kim

Chloe Kim is the United States’ reigning snowboard halfpipe champion. At the 2018 Olympics in Pyeongchang, Kim became the youngest female snowboarder to win an Olympic snowboard medal at the age of 17. This year we’re rooting for her as she competes in the halfpipe event once again, with the first qualifications run starting at 7:30 pm CST on February 9th on USA Network.  

Erin Jackson

American speedskater Erin Jackson, the first Black American woman to win a World Cup race this past November, is one to watch at this year’s Olympics. Placing 24th in the Women’s 500m race last Olympics, we hope to see her take the podium in Beijing. You can watch her race on February 13th at 7:50 am CST on NBC.

zoi sadowski-synott

It appears that American icon Jamie Anderson will have some stiff competition at this year’s Olympics as 20-year-old New Zealander Zoi Sadowski-Synott beat her in both Women’s Snowboard Slopestyle and Big Air events at X-Games Aspen last month. With Anderson following Sadowski-Synott earning the silver medal at both events, it will be interesting to see who brings home the Olympic Big Air gold medal. You can watch the showdown live as Women’s Snowboard Big Air Qualifications begin on February 13th at 7:30 pm CST on NBC, with Sadowksi-Synnott already securing the gold medal for Slopestyle on Saturday night and Anderson finishing in ninth place.

Alysa Liu

At only 16 years old, Alysa Liu will be representing Team USA as a figure skater. After having to withdraw from the U.S. National Championships due to testing positive for COVID-19, we hope she gets the redemption she deserves at the singles short program which will be live on February 15th at 4:00 am CST on NBC.

Though these are only five of the greatest athletes in the world, you can learn more about all the athletes here as we’ll cheer them on until the games conclude on February 20th.

Hailey is a junior studying public relations with a concentration in sports & entertainment communication management at the University of Alabama. When she's not busy with school, she loves working media for her school's athletic teams, traveling, going to concerts and obsessing over her future.