5 Fast Reads for Your 2022 Reading Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

With the new year comes a new reading challenge. Though it isn’t necessary to
set an intense reading goal, some, like myself, benefit from deadlines that encourage us to
continue reading for twelve months. I’ve compiled a list of five books I’ve read this month that
were quick and easy to read in hopes that we can all smash our reading goals together this year!

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

As an Alabama native, I knew it was time for me to finally read something by Truman
Capote himself. I figured I’d start with the novella and later movie adaptation that was Audrey
Hepburn’s most famous role. Breakfast at Tiffany’s follows young, posh Holly Golightly,
through the eyes of an unnamed narrator. The two live in the same apartment complex in
New York City in 1943. Our narrator is fascinated with Holly: her random outings,
strange friends, mysterious past, and everything in between. He befriends her and, try as he might, can’t
seem to see beyond the façade she tries so desperately to keep in place. When an
unexpected visitor shows up at Holly’s door, the truth begins to unravel, leading to a
melancholic ending that you won’t forget. Breakfast at Tiffany’s is roughly 100 pages and will leave you wanting to read more of Capote’s work!

Call us what we carry by Amanda Gorman

There is always a light, if only we’re brave enough to see it. If only we’re brave enough to be it.” Sound familiar? These were the final lines of Amanda Gorman’s The Hill We Climb that she read at the inauguration of President Joe Biden. The youngest inaugural poet in history, Gorman has grown increasingly popular and recently published a book of poems. Call Us What We Carry touches on topics such as racism, sexism, and COVID-19, using history as a lens to look at the future. This might be my favorite poetry book of all time. Gorman has a gift that she has carefully honed and the result shines through in the pages of her new collection. Call Us What We Carry is nearly 230 pages, a captivating book of not merely poetry but a reflection of who we are as a nation.

GIovanni’s Room by James Baldwin

Next on our list is a novel that was banned for its discussion of sexuality and gender
identity. Giovanni’s Room follows David, an American living in Paris, and his relationship with
Italian bar-tender Giovanni. David struggles with his sexuality, confused how he can be attracted to both Hella, his fiancé who is currently in Spain, and Giovanni, who he eventually moves in with. This all comes to a head at the climax of the novel before plunging into a heartbreaking end that shows why James Baldwin is
one of the greatest writers of the 20th century. Giovanni’s Room is 159 pages and can be
read in one sitting, gripping you with its enchanting language and compelling storyline.

Love’s Labor’s Lost by William Shakespeare

Approaching now is a tale by the bard himself! One of Shakespeare’s lesser-known plays,
Love’s Labor’s Lost is a comedy that, shockingly, takes place in the span of a mere two
days. This play tells the story of King Navarre and his men Longaville, Dumaine and
Berowne. The four make a pact to study intensely for three years, fast once a week,
sleep only three hours a night, and, most importantly, there are no relationships allowed
with women. Shortly after this promise has been made, the Princess and her ladies
Katherine, Maria and Rosaline appear to do business with Navarre, ruining the mens’ plans of avoiding any contact with women. As is typical in Shakespeare’s comedy, humor and mischief ensue. Love’s Labor’s Lost is 115 pages and is ensured to impress the English major in your life!

THe Midnight Library by matt haig

If you frequent BookTok, you’ve heard of this book. The Midnight Library tells the story
of 35-year-old Nora who struggles with intense depression and, after deeming that she is an overall failure, commits suicide. She is instantly transported to the Midnight Library, where she is greeted by her elementary librarian, Mrs. Elm. Nora then discovers that every book inside this magical library is a ticket to seeing how her life would of turned out if she’d made a different choice, from rockstar to Olympic swimmer to pub owner. As she jumps from
life to life, Nora begins to learn about what living without regret truly means, how a
missed opportunity might have been a good one. But soon, her time in the
library begins to run out. Can Nora return to her original life and try again, or must she
die, as the lessons she learned from the Midnight Library turn to dust? The Midnight
Library is 304 pages and is a more philosophical read that you won’t be able to forget!

Olivia Womack

Alabama '25

Olivia is a sophomore at the University of Alabama double majoring in English and History. She enjoys writing, reading historical fiction, and obsessively listening to musicals.