This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Studying by candlelight, reading 19th century novels in locally owned coffee shops, writing while listening to classical music, browsing through bookshops for poetry by Keats or Dickinson- these things are all quintessentially apart of the dark academia aesthetic. If you have been on TikTok anytime in the past few months, you know dark academia has become quite the new trend. A quick Google search will tell you that it can be defined as “A social media aesthetic and subculture concerned with higher education, writing/poetry, the arts, and classic Greek and Gothic architecture.” People are donning darker tones and more old-fashioned wear, Spotify playlists are being made, dark academic literature is being devoured, all to romanticize one’s life within this aesthetic. So, as a lover of dark academia, here is a list of five books to put on your to be read pile if you want to jump on this trend! 

Hamlet by William shakespeare

To read or not to read, that is the question? This classic and dark academic fanatic says the former! Betrayals, murder, theatrical productions with ulterior motives, this tragedy has it all. Need I even mention the iconic skull? Hamlet follows the young Prince of Denmark, you guessed it, Hamlet, as he is in continual mourning of his father, King Hamlet. One night, the ghost of his father appears to his watchmen and close friend, Horatio, who, after insisting that Hamlet come to see for himself, appears to him as well. The spirit tells him to avenge his death by killing his uncle, who murdered him, King Hamlet’s own brother. Hamlet vows to do just that and the play follows him as he orchestrates and overthinks his plans for his uncle’s demise. This classic with an emphasis on the arts and an abundance of Gothic characteristics is a guaranteed dark academia masterpiece.  

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

I couldn’t make this list without adding The Secret History by Donna Tartt. This is the blueprint for modern dark academic novels. The Secret History follows Richard Papen as he is accepted to and then attends Hampden College. He meets a group of elitist classic students- Henry, Camilla, Charles, Frances, and Bunny- and their revered teacher, Julian Morrow. Though they are hesitant at first, they accept him into their clique. Richard gets sucked into their sublime world, leading him to aiding in sinister and inexplicable deeds. This riveting novel has it all. Higher education? Check. The arts? Check. A study of the Greek and the classics? Check! To get your dark academia fix, pick up a copy of The Secret History.  

The picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde

“The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.” If this line doesn’t entice you to read this dark academia work, I don’t know what will. Written in the latter half of the 19th century by the well-known Oscar Wilde, this book scandalized readers when it was first published because of certain homoerotic undertones. The Picture of Dorian Gray opens with the title character having his portrait painted. A friend of Dorian’s, Lord Henry Wotton, tells Dorian that youth and beauty are two of the only things worth living for, that once they’re gone life begins to sour. Dorian, only twenty at the time, takes these words to heart and proclaims that he wishes he never had to grow old. Turns out dreams can come true because he gets exactly that, but with a price. His portrait that was painted of him will show his figure as he ages, instead of Dorian himself. The novel follows Dorian as he learns what it is to evade the consequences of age and poor decisions made while still in youth, before, as it tends to happen, fate catches up with him. You won’t be able to put down The Picture of Dorian Gray. 

The song of achilles by madeline miller

Want dark academic material that’s a little less overt? Look no further than The Song of Achilles, BookTok’s resident heartbreaker. The Song of Achilles is a retelling of Homer’s The Iliad, from the perspective of Patroclus. The novel follows him as he is exiled from his home and goes to live in Pthia, befriending the prince there, Achilles, before they must go to fight in the Trojan war together. It focuses on Patroclus and Achilles’ relationship as they first become close friends, then lovers. If you’re a Greek mythology fanatic, then you know how this story will end. You’re almost guaranteed to leave fat tear stains on the last few pages. The Song of Achilles is a beautifully tragic love story that is told across two decades, done in such a magnificent way that leaves Madeline Miller deserving of her own constellation, hung beside her heroes.  

Frankenstein by Mary shelley

What could possibly be more fitting than ending this list with the novel that helped kickstart the horror genre? It was a dark and stormy night in the 19th century when Lord Byron, whom Mary Shelley and her husband, Percy, were staying with, suggested that they all participate in a contest. The one who wrote the most haunting story won. I think it’s safe to say that the mother of gothic horror excelled. Frankenstein follows Victor Frankenstein in his quest to bring life back to the dead. After many trials and tribulations, he is finally successful. The twist, however, is that he is horrified with what he has created and scorns his creature, who sees Victor as his father. This leads to dire consequences as the creature, who doesn’t even have a name, is forced to wander the earth alone, learning human cruelty, before he comes face to face with his creator. Frankenstein is a story of abandonment and how companionship helps to give us our humanity. It is sure to be a dark academic classic you won’t be able to put down.  

Olivia Womack

Alabama '25

Olivia is a sophomore at the University of Alabama double majoring in English and History. She enjoys writing, reading historical fiction, and obsessively listening to musicals.