This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

At the beginning of each year, I attempt to perfectly curate my playlists, so that when December rolls around, my Spotify Wrapped isn’t a hot mess. And yet, despite my efforts, every year my Spotify Wrapped still ends up being… a hot mess. Regardless of my attempts to listen to new music, I just end up listening to the same songs over and over for 12 months (cue, “drivers license” by Olivia Rodrigo). However, it’s only the beginning of March, which means there’s still time to expand your music library. Here are five artists to keep on your radar for the rest of 2021.

Ruel

If you like Shawn Mendes, you’ll probably like Ruel just as much, if not more. As a fan of Shawn, I was disappointed with his most recent album, Wonder, and I felt it left much to be desired. Ruel, however, has consistently impressed me with the music he has released, including the entirety of his most recent EP, Bright Lights, Red Eyes, and his newest single, “too many feelings.” At just 18 years old, the Australian pop singer still has a lot to prove, and though he isn’t as famous in the States as he is in Australia, he’s for sure an artist to keep on your radar. 

Holly Humberstone

Sad girls, this one’s for you. Holly Humberstone is the perfect combination of Phoebe Bridgers and Maggie Rogers. Her most streamed song on Spotify, “Falling Asleep at the Wheel,” is best described as Phoebe’s lyrics paired with Maggie’s upbeat pop beats. It should also be noted that two of her songs, “Vanilla” and “Livewire” are on Olivia Rodrigo’s “sad girl hours” Spotify playlist, so she must be good.

Dayglow

You’ve probably heard Dayglow’s “Can I Call You Tonight” from either TikTok or a Dote girl’s YouTube video, and on the off chance that you haven’t, you’re missing out. The bedroom pop singer released his debut album Fuzzybrain in 2019 and is releasing his second full-length album Harmony House on May 21. While May is still a few months away, you can listen to his most recent catchy singles, “Close To You” and “Something” to tie you over until then.

Aly & AJ

Though their release of the explicit version of their iconic song had everyone excited, it’s time we address that Aly and AJ are more than “Potential Breakup Song.” Since their comeback in 2017, Aly and AJ have released multiple singles, two EPs, and a compilation album. Their most recent single, “Listen!!!” is a fun, upbeat pop anthem that matches the vibe of the rest of their music the world seems to be missing out on. 

Dominic Fike

Though his most popular song “3 Nights” is three years old, it’s never too late to start listening to an artist. Dominic Fike’s 2020 debut album, What Could Possibly Go Wrong, has quite a few bangers with my favorites including “Chicken Tenders” and “Wurli.” That same year, he was also featured on Halsey’s album Manic. If you like artists like Kevin Abstract, Ryan Beatty, and Omar Apollo, you’ll love Dominic Fike.

Hailey is a junior studying public relations with a concentration in sports & entertainment communication management at the University of Alabama. When she's not busy with school, she loves working media for her school's athletic teams, traveling, going to concerts and obsessing over her future.
Alabama Contributor