4 Ways to Celebrate a College Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Happy Birthday! Whether it’s your 19th, 20th, 21st, or 22nd, any birthday in college is exciting! If you’re a little stuck on what to do and who to invite, here are some ideas!

Brunch
Brunch is by far the best meal of the day. It satisfies the sweet and savory crowd, and still allows all your guests to have the rest of their day free!
Some great places in Tuscaloosa are Brick and Spoon, River, Rama Jamas, Sweet Home Food Bar, and Waysider. If it is a larger party, see if you can call ahead and reserve a table, or at least give the restaurant a heads up.

Bowling and games
Bowlero serves drinks, food, and has tons of things to do like bowling and arcade games. Shindig also has bowling and arcade games along with mini golf, laser tag, and food. If you want to feel like a kid again on a day that celebrates getting older, these are the places to be.

Dinner and drinks
One of my favorite restaurants is World of Beer, lovingly called WOB. WOB has daily drink deals, but their best deal is $5 liquor pitchers on Fridays. Grab all your friends for dinner and stay for the night! Dinner guests rarely pay cover. If you want something a little more upscale, Chuck’s Fish has a great bar and amazing food, or grab drinks at Session Cocktails while you wait for a table at Depalma’s Italian.

Throw a house party
House parties can be a great way to celebrate, especially if some of your guests are underaged or you’re not a big drinker. Places like Chick-fil-A, Publix, Baumhower’s, and Taco Mama have catering deals to feed all your guests. The Dollar Store has a wide variety of decorations all for, well, a dollar! TVs work great for speakers, and you can add string lights and photos walls to create the perfect party.

So now that you have it planned, who should come?

It’s your birthday, so whoever you want! Make sure you include some room in the guest list for people to bring their friends or significant others. If you have a friend from class or a club that may not know your other friends, a plus one can help them feel more comfortable!

If birthdays aren’t your thing, don’t worry! You can always gather some friends and eat some cake. And don’t forget to enjoy it!

MJ Miller

Alabama '24

MJ Miller is from Los Angeles, California and is thoroughly enjoying her studies at the University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa. MJ loves spending time with her friends and making Taylor Swift playlists.