4 Spooky Books to Read this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

What’s more fun than dressing up on Halloween? Dressing up with your friends on Halloween! I have compiled five simple and fun group costumes that you can do with your friends on the spookiest day of the year.

1. The Wicked Deep

The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw is a creepy and enticing read perfect for the spooky season. This book is about three witches sentenced to death two centuries ago who now wreak havoc on their town and it’s new locals every Summer. This is a story about revenge, trust, and death, which makes it perfect for getting anyone into their spooky spirits.

2.  Coraline

You have probably seen the unsettling animated version of Neil Gaiman’s beloved classic. If you haven’t, Coraline is about a young girl who is neglected by her parents, especially after they move into a new house. While exploring this new house Coraline discovers a new and better world that may have some dangerous secrets. This movie was terrifying, but the book goes into even more detail of the horrors Coraline faces, which is great for Halloween.

3.  Beautiful Creatures

If you have been roped into the world of cheesy supernatural Young Adult romance books sometime in your life you have probably heard of Beautiful Creatures. But if you haven’t dived into that hole, Beautiful Creatures is a story surrounding Southern history and folklore that follows Ethan Wate, a simple boy from a small town in search of something bigger, and Lena Duchannes, a “Caster” who may be a little too close to the dark side. The book, in general, does an amazing job of wrapping you into this dark story, but the audiobook (which I highly recommend) adds spooky music and sound effects to make it even more interesting.

4. Frankenstein

Who doesn’t love a classic? Well, usually I do not, but Frankenstein has always been an exception. This story is uncomfortable with a very grey morale that fits just right into this time of year. Dr. Frankenstein tends to be even scarier than the monster he created, making the book suspenseful all the way through. Frankenstein will make you question things you have never even thought about before and always leave you wondering “What will happen next?”, making it a great Halloween read.

5. The Call

The Call is most certainly my favorite book on this list. I listened to this book on audio (again, highly recommend for all the spooky feelings) and immediately picked it on again as a physical book after finishing it. This book explores some dark parts of Irish folklore in a world where children are taken into a world where evil fairies are hunting them in cold blood. Even if they survive “The Call” they never return back to the real world the same. The main character Nessa is disabled but determined to survive and prove everyone wrong. The absolute horror and gore I experienced in this book were unlike any other I had read before and I will be picking it up again to read this October.

Alabama Contributor