This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

As young adults, finding a job is important for many different reasons. Whether it be a full-time gig, or something needed when you’re home for the holidays, having some extra cash of your own helps, especially when in college!

Now if you’re like me, finding a part time job these days can be hard, especially with COVID-19. Living in the state of California, a lot of stores are slowly beginning to shut down again, and this is happening all over the country as well. However, there are still some easy ways to make money while having fun, too!

One great way to do this is by babysitting. You may not know a lot of kids you can or want to watch, but you would be surprised how many people you know need babysitters. One great way to find babysitting jobs is through coworkers, aunts/uncles, friends’ siblings, etc. Babysitting is a great alternative especially in a time like this, because it provides great benefits not found at most jobs. Although it can seem like a daunting task, babysitting allows you more time for schoolwork and relaxing while the kids are napping. Babysitting can lead to connections for future jobs, and if you’re lucky, a letter of recommendation!

Another great alternative for a job that is not “in-store” is dog walking! Even though many people are working from home, they may not have the time and attention needed to care for their pets during the workday. Dog walking allows you to not only make money and hang out with dogs, but it gives you more freedom and time than a job in retail or a restaurant does. It is also great exercise and allows for a lot more time spent outdoors!

Even though these may seem like simple jobs, they are great alternatives to making some extra cash during hard times like these. And who knows, maybe it ends up being something you really enjoy and continue to pursue!

Lexi Carson

Alabama '23

Outside of Her Campus I love spending time with my friends, watching movies, and volunteering at DCH hospital!
Alabama Contributor