Style > Beauty

10 Vegan, Cruelty-Free Makeup Products Everyone Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

For most makeup-lovers who aren’t in the business of harming animals, finding accessible vegan products that actually work well is a chore. But don’t fret my gentle beauty queens! This list includes a full face of vegan, cruelty-free makeup options for all skin tones and skin types. While many cruelty-free makeup brands are rather pricey, I’ve included some cheaper options that are just as friendly to your budget as they are to animals! Even if you’re not a vegan, supporting these cruelty-free brands is a step in the right direction to ending inhumane animal testing. As a life-long lover of the (cosmetic) arts, I can confidently say that these ten products are worth a try!

1. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer $15 – $36 (Sephora, Ulta)

I never start a makeup look without this product! This water-based foundation primer is conducive to all skin types, but works wonders for people, like me, with oily or combination acne-prone skin. Try it with a water-based liquid foundation and feel the power of a long-lasting, flawless look!

2. BH Cosmetics Liquid Foundation Naturally Flawless $9.50 (Ulta)

If you’ve been on the hunt for an animal-friendly foundation that doesn’t break the bank, look no further! This medium-full coverage foundation goes on smoothly for a light-weight, hydrated look that lasts all day with a good setting powder. BH formulated 24 different colors in a wide range of shades and undertones for every gorgeous skin tone. This product works best with drier skin types but could work with some oily or combination skin because it is water-based.

3. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation $39 (Sephora, Ulta)

This foundation rocked my acne-prone, hopelessly oily-skinned world! It covers blemishes and acne scars completely, while still maintaining a natural look. I would recommend using a primer so it doesn’t clog the pores, but, with the right skin care routine, this product can be a great go-to. With 40 different shades and a smooth, matte finish, this foundation looks flawless on anyone. Plus, it has SPF 15 for a little every day sun safety!

*Disclaimer: While Tarte is a cruelty-free brand, the Kose cosmetic company which purchased the brand in 2014 is not entirely cruelty-free! It’s up to you to decide how you support these brands.

5. Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder $22 (Sephora)

This oil-free setting powder locks in looks for an all-day matte finish for all skin types. It comes in a universal translucent/colorless shade and five darker shades so you can find your perfect fit!

5. e.l.f. Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder $4 – $8 (Amazon, Walgreens, etc.)

These inexpensive blush and bronzing duos are great for an everyday look! They come in two color sets: Turks & Caicos and Antigua. The bronzer blends well for a defined contour while the blush adds a natural-looking pop of color.

6. Too Faced Cocoa Contour Chiseled to Perfection $42 (Sephora)

While this contour kit is a little on the pricey side, its cocoa-infused bronzers and shimmery creme highlight are worth every penny for all the vegan makeup fanatics willing to splurge. The bronzers come in medium and dark shades perfect for sculpting and defining those cheekbones! It also includes a “luminous light shade” for brightening up under the eyes, but I, along with many other reviewers, find it is not accommodating to most skin tones. This kit also comes with a neat little Contour Buki Brush for application.      7. Colourpop Super Shock Highlighter $8 (Ulta, Colourpop.com)

This creme highlighter is the definition of poppin. It comes in eight colors perfect for natural or bold looks. I’m usually not a big fan of creme highlighters, but Colourpop’s product is an exception. It goes on smooth and blends well without looking cakey for a luminous, long-lasting glow.

8. Colourpop Brow Boss Pencil $5 (Ulta, Colourpop.com)

Colourpop for the win again! This gel eyebrow pencil comes in nine long-lasting colors and includes a spoolie, perfect for feathering your brows.

9. Milk Makeup KUSH High Volume Mascara $12 – $24 (Sephora)

This mascara gives lashes plenty of length and volume so your eyes get the attention they deserve. It contains nourishing cannabis oil, which works to condition your lashes as you wear it, and makes removal easier to prevent lash breakage. It goes on smoothly without clumping, and doesn’t drop fallout, making it the perfect choice for all day wear or long nights out!​

10. Cover FX Illuminating Setting Spray $15-$31 (Sephora)

This setting spray is the perfect final touch for your cosmetic masterpiece. It locks in your look with a bright, hydrated finish for all-day wear. If you prefer a more matte finish, Cover FX also has a vegan, cruelty-free Mattifying Setting Spray.

I am a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Alabama, majoring in Secondary Education: English & Language Arts and minoring in Creative Writing.
Alabama Contributor