10 Things I Learned Within My First 10 Weeks of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

A couple of weeks ago marked midterms for me as well as the end of my first ten weeks in college. Being a freshman, it’s crazy to think that time has passed so quickly, and even crazier to reflect on how much I’ve learned in only two and a half months! Here are ten things that I have learned:

1. Sometimes, you WILL intend to take a 20-minute nap in between classes (college can be pretty tiring, right?) and accidentally sleep through your second class. You just have to remember,  oversleeping doesn’t make you a bad person, or a bad student.

2. College is all about pursuing your interests, whether it be a cute guy you see around campus, a leadership role in an organization, or an internship you see yourself working. When I was younger, things like this typically presented themselves to me, so I didn’t have to put in very much effort to get what I wanted. Part of the maturing you do in college is a result of learning to go after what you want.

3. Go to your professors’ office hours, even if you don’t necessarily have trouble in the class. Talking one-on-one with any instructor builds relationships which may be beneficial to you later on, when you need that letter of recommendation or need to ask questions about setting up an independent study.

4. You may or may not have the strong sentiment that the Plague has fallen upon your campus. Regardless, carry tissues, cough drops and, most importantly, hand sanitizer,  everywhere.

5. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you fail an exam or miss a homework assignment. It took me at least 2-3 weeks to get used to not having a teacher to remind me constantly about upcoming due dates or handing out study guides that were carbon copies of the actual test. You get the hang of things if you’re persistent.

6. Dressing up to class is cool; let’s be honest, who doesn’t love getting compliments on their outfit, hair, and makeup? I do. Plus, by the time you’re done getting all dolled up, you’ll  have the confidence to feel like you can take on whatever the day throws at you, even if you didn’t  wake up feeling that way.

7. Dressing casually to class has its pros, too. You don’t have to worry about touching up your makeup or pulling your dress down every ten seconds. Sometimes it’s nice to just chill out and be comfy-cozy. It all depends on your mood that day. One of the best things about getting dressed is that your outfit is totally up to you, so do whatever you want! Which brings me to my next point…

8. One of the most appealing things about college that was promised to high school me was that here, other people no longer care about how you look, talk, dress etc. If I’m bursting anyone’s bubble here, I apologize-but there are still going to be people who tease, stare, or “judge”  when you wear your favorite onesie and bunny slippers to class. Truthfully, there will always be someone who passes judgment on the choices you make. But what’s good about college is that YOU learn to care less about other people’s perceptions of you, and in turn, it feels like no one cares; you feel a lot more free when you realize this

9. Take breaks from studying often, no matter how much you think you have to do. Go on a walk, eat at your favorite restaurant on campus. Your time in college should be, above all, a combination of fun and gaining the skills to ensure a great career.

10. Attend as many events that seem interesting to you-and maybe one or two that don’t- as possible. Recently, I attended a random event that raised awareness about the endangerment of the African elephant. I initially attended it so I could get credit for going to a “cultural event” for one of my classes. But surprisingly, I really enjoyed the event and learned so much. Stepping out of your comfort zone in terms of your interests helps you to find NEW interests-and new friends!
Nichole was born in Atlanta, GA and is a freshman at the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!) majoring in Biomedical Engineering with a Pre-Med concentration. In her free time, Nichole loves to work out, bake, watch movies, and spend time with her family.
Alisha is a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in Communicative Disorders and minoring in Psychology. She is the current Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Alabama. Alisha loves binge watching TV shows on Netflix, baking, writing, watching/raving about Alabama Football, and spending time with her sorority sisters. She hopes to make a difference in the world or at least in many people's lives as a hopeful Speech-Language Pathologist. Follow Alisha on Twitter (@missalisha14) and Instagram (alishaa_j). Roll Tide!