10 Girl Power Anthems That Will Instantly Boost Your Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

We all have those days, you know the kind of days I’m talking about, the days when you just don’t feel like yourself.

School, work, relationships, societal injustices, beauty standards, and the fact that we are in the middle of a pandemic, can really affect a girl. The beauty standards on social media await us every time we open our Instagram or TikTok. Then we’re off, racing down a rabbit hole, caught up in the ideals that much of society places upon us. Suddenly, we wonder if our nose is too big. If our clothes are trendy enough. If our skin is smooth enough. Now, nothing about ourselves seems good enough.    

Recently, my favorite thing to do when I start spiraling down the comparison rabbit hole is to blare the music from some of my favorite bada** women. Poof— like magic, I instantly feel more confident, powerful and secure. My insecurities may not be cured, but that voice that was shouting at me, telling me I’m not enough, has been silenced. It’s a much-needed slap to the face, reminding me who the hell I am. 

Next time you start feeling less than, or others bring you down, these girl power anthems will remind you of exactly who you are.

“WTF Do I Know” by Miley Cyrus 

I’ve loved Miley since she was wearing a blonde wig and metallic cowgirl boots, and my love grew even deeper with the release of her Plastic Hearts album. This new punk rock Miley is unapologetic, unashamed and uber cool— I can’t get enough. The whole album is amazing, but this song in particular really does the trick when I’m feeling down.

“Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks

I was shocked to learn that much of Gen Z “discovered” Stevie Nicks through TikTok when, in 2020, Fleetwood Mac’s hit “Dreams” went viral on the app. Being the absolute queen she is, Ms. Nicks wrote and sang songs about her ex-boyfriend… while he played guitar in the same band. Talk about iconic. This song is from her solo album and is sensational. You’re welcome.

“Best Friend” by Saweetie ft. Doja Cat

I just recently discovered this song, and it has been on repeat for the past week— it’s like bottled confidence. When it’s safe to go out again, “Best Friend” will most definitely be on the pre-game playlist!

“Respect” by Aretha Franklin

This song always reminds me of the scene in Bridget Jones’s Diary when Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) confronts Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant) in front of the entire office like the boss she is. There’s no way Aretha’s voice demanding the respect she deserves can’t make you feel like a bad b*tch.

“Dumb Blonde” by Dolly Parton

Dolly is the queen of country music. She’s unproblematic and an advocate for underrepresented groups. Don’t let the name of this song fool you, “‘cause this Dumb Blonde ain’t nobody’s fool.”

“Stronger” by Britney Spears

This one is from Britney’s Oops!…I did it again album, and it’s girl power perfection. This song is best served with a side of early aughts nostalgia and speakers turned all the way up. Side note, Free Britney

“Marry The Night” by Lady Gaga

We all know the power Gaga has over the music and entertainment industries, as well as her career-long support of female empowerment. While this might be one of the lesser-known anthems from her Born This Way album, this bop will make you feel capable of anything

“I’m Coming Out” by Diana Ross

Considered one of the original divas of pop music, Diana Ross was a founding member of The Supremes during the 60s before branching out and pursuing a solo career. I’m telling you, this song contains mystical confidence-boosting powers. If I could have one song played every time I walk into a room, it would be this one.

“No Scrubs” by TLC

That guy you’re talking to turn out to be the worst? Did you and your significant other break up? Well, let the voices of Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes and Crystal Turner remind you that you never need to settle for “scrubs.”

“The Man” by Taylor Swift

You didn’t really think that I would forget about T-Swift, did you? “The Man” needs no explanation other than when Taylor said: “When everyone believes ya, what’s that like?” I really felt that.

Craving more? Here are some honorable mentions:

“Love is a Battlefield” by Pat Benatar

If you’ve seen 13 Going On 30, then you understand my devotion to this song.

“Bad Girls” by M.I.A

I’m so sorry to my neighbors who heard this blaring out of my car every day the summer I turned 16.

“Cherry Bomb” by The Runaways

Classic girl power punk that always makes me want to put my leather jacket on and be a ~rebel~.

“Nightmare” by Halsey

This one stays on repeat when I’m in a bad mood.

“Just a Girl” by No Doubt

Another jam that’s perfect for when you’re feeling nostalgic for the early 2000s. This track is one of Gwen Steffani’s best, in my humble opinion!

Like Elle Woods, Emie is a Gemini vegetarian-- okay, pescatarian. Okay, she's just a Gemini. Emie is a lifestyle, beauty and fashion writer from Alabama and is currently a senior at the University of Alabama studying public relations. Emie writes for the University of Alabama chapter of Her Campus, Alice Magazine and Platform Magazine. A lover of belly laughs, giggles, and chuckles, humor is often infused in her writing, and she frequently finds inspiration in her own experiences or the experiences of those around her. When she is not writing, you can likely find her reading Vogue, baking, hunting for vintage clothes, or far too enthusiastically quoting The Office.
Alabama Contributor