Style > Decor

Your How-To Guide on Decorating Your College Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Decorating your college house or dorm for the holiday season can be incredibly hard because we are all on a budget. However, I am here to help you with tips on how to find affordable holiday decorations. 

Ornaments

Now comes the ornaments for your tree! Walmart also has PERFECT ornament sets!! They are an affordable price and they are the perfect amount for the 4-foot tree. They come in a multitude of different colors and you can get a whole 57 pack of ornaments for only $16.99. 

Christmas Tree

The biggest issue that I faced when I was trying to decorate was trying to find a reasonably priced Christmas tree. Personally, I went to Walmart and bought a 4 foot pre-lit Christmas tree. They have a bunch of different colors, but I went with a white tree just because I liked it the most. Not only is it the perfect size, but it’s only $25! I originally bought it for my dorm, but now that I have moved into my first apartment, it is the perfect size for my living room!

Tree Topper

The tree topper I have, I bought from the Dollar Tree. They have two different colors, a gold sparkle star and a silver sparkle star. It fits perfectly on the top of the 4-foot tree and is also very pretty! An added bonus is that it’s obviously only a DOLLAR!!

Indoor Lighting

The perfect way to get your house feeling very Christmas-y is buying indoor string lights! I usually buy mine from Walmart as well because you can get them for a reasonable price, they are the perfect length and they will last for years!! This string of 62.5-foot lights is only $8.26!

Indoor Decor

Target is the perfect place to get Christmas pillows and a front door mat! I will admit, the pillows are a tad expensive because they are about $10 each, but they are very worth it! I have the tree pillow and it is a perfect design, and I get many compliments on it when my friends visit! The doormats are only $13, which is a very affordable price for a doormat!! I have a super cute Weiner dog doormat, but they come in a variety of different styles. 

A Throw Blanket

A throw blanket for your couch or chair is the perfect item to make your house cozier and get your home in the Christmas spirit!! Once again, Walmart is where you can find an affordable, but amazing quality, blanket. This blanket is only $15 and it’s so comfy!!

Dollar Tree is Underrated

If you want great but simple decorations for around your house, Dollar Tree is the place for you. Not only do they have the cheapest decorations around, but they are also super cute! They have everything that you could think of from mugs, wreaths, stockings, ornaments, garland and SO MUCH MORE!!

Now I know that there are so many other decorations you could get from other stores, but these are just my recommendations, and I hope you enjoy them!!

I am a sophomore Marketing Management student at The University of Akron. I enjoy studying math and writing articles while kicking back with some friends and coffee.